1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCallum on Stern's 25 years as commish

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The Spurs do it well ... I've said many times before that if I were to have an NBA jersey in my closet, it would be Tim Duncan's.

The Jazz are also an exception to the rule. Larry Miller's loyalty to Jerry Sloan has been paid back many times over. Thank goodness someone out there doesn't get panicky and fire the coach the moment something isn't right. This problem is worse in the NHL, but the NBA isn't far behind.

The Lakers? Kobe Bryant has gotten better with passing, but that's primarily because he couldn't get any worse. All that athleticism and willingness to play defense, but still a poor teammate. Figures since he wants so much to Be Like Mike.

The Magic do seem to get it, as do the Celtics.

So there's four teams, maybe five. What's with the other 25 organizations?

And Fen, I have tried to watch the NBA. I think you can figure out I love the game of basketball ... part of it is having a parent who played and most of the rest is the region where I grew up. Yet the NBA - for all its improved athletes in better condition than ever - hasn't become better basketball. Sorry ... not trying to start a firestorm in here, but I don't see it.

I also don't see those young kids you say are sticking on those teams developing, Fen. Kobe Bryant threw up airballs in the playoffs trying too hard to be the alpha (never mind the snotty-brat routine he did to whine his way out of Charlotte ... what made him think he was above the system under which everyone else works?). Jermaine O'Neal and Darius Miles were on the ends of benches being babied and thrown insane amounts of money. About the only teenagers that were anywhere near ready to play from the moment they were drafted were Kevin Garnett, LeBron James, Dwight Howard and Amare Stoudemire. The rest that didn't wash out were hangers-on on the end of the bench.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The ratings take a nosedive when the Spurs are in the finals because they're from San Antonio and Duncan has one of the most boring superstars in the history of sports.

The NBA will never be as popular as it was when Jordan was playing. But if Stern can get the Knicks, Bulls, Celtics and Lakers among the league's elite again, at the same time, the league will get a huge boost.

When LeBron and Co. wind up in NYC for the 2010-11 season, ratings will be the highest they've been since Jordan retired and maybe since he left Chicago.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

As has been noted, Stern's time as General Counsel was impactful, and part of his legacy. Greatest commissioner in sports? Nah. But when the contemporary competition included Paul Tagliabue, Gary Bettman and Bud Selig, I can understand the laudatory words.

And: Kobe Bryant led each of the Lakers' three title teams from 2000-02 in assists. By a wide margin in 2002. "But he was passing it to SHAQ!!!!!"

Hey, no he wasn't. After all, Shaq said so. And he's FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I disagree with you about Kobe. I used to be a hater ... but watching him play the last season and a half or so, he's really become a different player.

I'll agree that if you watch a Clippers-Warriors game, you're going to be seeing some bad basketball.

And if you watch a Lions-Bengals game, you're going to see some shitty football. It's the same in every sport and every level. The good teams do it right, the bad teams don't.

I guess the difference between the NBA and the NFL is that in the NFL, every team is mediocre.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Damn straight, the crap about the high school kids being busts is utter nonsense. The biggest busts in recent years have been the stars who had glorious college careers like Sean May, Redick and Morrison. Yeah, some high school guys haved failed, but at a far smaller rate than the college superstars. And most that have, frankly, are guys that would've been busts anyways, at least by coming out early they got their contract and set their family up before they were exposed.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Part of the reason Duncan is considered "boring" is he does all the "boring" fundamental stuff that Sam Mills claims everybody wants to see. Except, apparently, they don't. Which is sad. Duncan's a great player for basketball purists to watch. I just don't think there are really that many basketball purists still left.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Redick is actually playing a fairly key role on that great Orlando team, now. But, otherwise, you are dead on.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

He's been watching the Knicks.

9. Sam Mills 51

I never said everybody wants to see it. Attempting to put words in my mouth much?

I'd watch Tim Duncan. Pretty obvious that's a minority opinion.

10. Sam Mills 51

If I had to watch that train wreck, I'd be scarred for life.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Fixed. Seriously, they are god-awful. Karma's going to get you.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

He's altered the way we watched the game, turning the NBA into a player first league rather than team first.

And now it's come back to bite him in the ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted