1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain to Hagee: No, thanks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Colonel Angus, May 22, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Oh, the guy is completely nuts. The guy has called the Catholic Church "The Great Whore."

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No, but he's called Rod Parsley his moral compass. Parsley has said some batshit crazy things, as well.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

McCain was fine with Hagee when everyone knew Hagee was in favor of pretty much eliminating Muslims from the face of the earth with a nuclear bomb, but not so much fine when the much more important Jewish voters had their own personal history sucked into Hagee's crazy whirlpool of life.

So to review:

Theoretical nuclear holocaust that will help Jesus return to earth: "We're cool. I'm honored by your support."

Actual Nazi holocaust that Hagee claims was part of God's plan to make the Jews hurry up and get back to the holy land: "Hold on, I denounce and reject thee!"

4. You'd be surprised how many protestants hold virtually every view Hagee has espoused.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're saying it's not? Either way, I don't trust you mackerel snappers. :D

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

More Hagee nuttiness:

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/02/29/politics/horserace/entry3892932.shtml

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Ya know...Hagee's church is in Texas. Texas has been hit by hurricanes. Maybe God's angry at Hagee?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I keep hoping one of these nutso hypocrites (Hagee, Robertson, Phelps) will be struck by lightning mid-sentence, and preferably while the cameras are rolling. So far, that's been too much to ask.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Am grateful John Mac activated the flush mechanism on this Macy's Parade-load, however belatedly.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding like the condescending Libertarian -- crapola like this is why religion is best left out of politics and vice versa.

The fact that we have political candidates issuing statements saying they don't agree with religious leaders who may have been their pastor or spiritual adviser at one time is silly.

Everyone's faith is personal and frankly what Hagee said about Muslims and Jews and Catholics -- if you are an absolutist or a fundamentalist Christian -- and you believe your way -- i.e. be born again and accept Jesus --- is the only way to heaven, well, then you would view other religions and beliefs as being false religions.

And the same thing with Rev. Wright -- some blacks really believe that AIDS is a conspiracy of the American government to kill off Africans and there are plenty of people who believe we brought 9/11 on ourselves....

But these are things that have been said from a religious pulpit, nothing more, nothing less.

Yet, somehow, there are people trying to view what these religious leaders have said through the same prism as they'd view what a political leader has said about the same subjects......It is insane.

If Rev. Hagee wants to preach his version of the bible and people want to listen to it -- have a great time. If he wants to say he is going to endorse John McCain -- that's his prerogative.

It is up to our politicians, however, to make sure all of these endorsements from religious people come from a distance, so they don't have to issue silly statements every time said religious leader walks off the deep end in a sermon.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It's the forgiving side of me. I'm not at all convinced McCain shares those views and don't feel his electability should rest on an issue like this. Fair play.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Oh my God. Do Zag and I actually agree on something?

Draft saved Draft deleted