1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain self-destructs on The Daily Show

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Apr 24, 2007.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't get it.

You mean he's not a fair and balanced independent, as he always claims?

Maybe if he would be as honest about his ideology as you just were about his ideology . . . he would be viewed as less of a windbag.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

McCain's too old, his general health is poor and he's too much of a nut to be president.
    Never mind some baggage that comes from a messy previous divorce and the rumors that Bush 2000 floated.
    It isn't just his thoughts on Iraq, any hard look at McCain will show that he is really out there on any number of issues.
    What does going on the Daily Show accomplish? It gets a minor candidate publicity, but McCain is far past that. He isn't going to change any minds by putting unpopular opinions out there and jousting with Stewart isn't like going up against Russert.
    All the appearance did was prove that the Republicans still don't have a single viable candidate.

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

The man does have to sleep, after all.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

In Stewart's case, I think his ranting is because he genuinely likes McCain, and he's shocked at what the man has become. Their chats these days are less interviews and more deprogramming sessions.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I watched the 1 A.M. replay, expecting to see some sort of epic meltdown. I did not see that. Rather, I saw a potential presidential candidate attempt to explain and defend his party's new agenda but could not escape legitimate questions about his party's remarkably flawed war plan.

I'm not sure if an appearance on the 4/24/07 Daily Show can hurt McCain's White House aspirations, because it's not an election year.

I think someone earlier in the thread tried to compare McCain on TDS to the Howard Dean scream-a-palooza in 2004. But it's not in the same universe. Dean lost his mind during the primaries, when national politics dominated news cycles. The public wasn't going to escape reading and seeing Dean shout his White House dreams.

McCain's 15 minutes on TDS will be forgotten shortly after Britney Spears shaves her head again or when Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes divorce or following my marriage to the lovely Sarah Chalke.

Okay, maybe not the last one, but I think my point still stands.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Correct again, Bob.

Stewart made a point of ending the show with a nod to their friendship, saying, "Just so you know, the Senator and I are off to Hooters to get wasted."

I think he likes the guy, and really wants him to do well. He looked genuinely pained at times during that interview.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Exactly. It was no meltdown -- it was simply an attempt to defend a stance on the war that is unpopular and very hard to defend.

All the "he's a nut!" and "he's got baggage" bullshit cracks me up. He'll be done in by his support of the war, but the other stuff is absurd.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

It just depends whether you make decisions based on issues or personality. To me, it was a meltdown.

9. I know you and I disagree on politics, but do you really think Clinton/Gore was worse than Bush/Cheney? It's just a simple yes or no, because I honestly don't see how you can say yes, but maybe you do feel that way.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I respect the hell out of McCain, but he is unelectable and that's unfortunate...

Stewart got the best of the debate, but he had the home-field advantage...

Personally, I give McCain credit for showing up on a ridiculously liberal show where he knows he's going to get hammered...

11. I think he just looks exhausted. He knows -- at some level -- the amount of bile he's had to swallow in supporting to the end the people who slandered his wife and child seven years ago. (In his speech today, he took an oblique swipe at Fredo over the Katrina response.) He looks like he's collapsing within himself.
    He didn't get hammered. He just got tired.

12. JackS

JackS Member

...which is almost identical to the way O'Reilly ended his "windbag-off" with Geraldo a couple weeks ago. I mean, yeah, I understand you can be friends with someone you're arguing with...that doesn't make the performance any less "windbaggish." I'm simply calling for a stop to disingenuous notion that O'Reilly's "windbaggery" is cause for all the disdain. It isn't. It's his views.

I'm inventing words here, people. Show some love. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted