1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain recited Steelers defensive lineup to captors

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jul 9, 2008.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://kdka.com/politics/Republican.John.McCain.2.767089.html

This smells like big-time pandering.

McCain was held between 1967 and 1973. The Steelers were not in the national media spotlight until the early '70s. I'm not saying he didn't recite the names of mid-60s Steelers defensive linemen to his captors, but you do notice that when the interviewer asks him to name those players today, he does not remember.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I'm a McCain guy, but I think he is lying on this one.

In Faith of my Fathers, he said that he recited the Packers o-line, which would make sense because GB would have been the best team in football around the time he got shot down.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Maybe the answer will change from state-to-state. He'll name the Fearsome Foursome. In Minnesota it'll be that he named the Purple People Eaters.

"Eller, Page, Marshall, and, and..."

If he names the New York Sack Exchange then I'll be really suspicious.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As bad as Hillary taking that shot of whiskey a few months ago. ::)

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

This is the first I've read or heard about it. One thing I learned in SERE school was that evaders and POWs have to be extremely crafty and clever, so it wouldn't seem unreasonable.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Unbelievable.

Last week, when a reporter offered McCain a chance to explain how his POW experience would make him a better president, he got snitty and refused to answer the question. He later apologized and said he doesn't like to talk about his POW experience.

Amazing how it always seems to come up.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

During McCain's confinement, the Steelers were busy getting killed by the Bears one season to assure a coinflip for the year's top pick.
    The Bears lost the coin toss, naturally, assuring that the Steelers would get Bradshaw.

8. three_bags_full

Couldn't he be a Steelers' fan?

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

He doesn't like to talk about it, but when some of his platform is 'I served, and Sen. Obama hasn't' the voters have to hear some of that stuff.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I agree that could be the case. But he should at least throw a few names out there to back up his claim.

11. three_bags_full

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to defend him, just playing devil's advocate, I guess.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

IF he doesn't like to talk about it, then it shouldn't be his platform.

Draft saved Draft deleted