1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain: Misspeak, ignorance or evidence of memory loss?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jboy, Mar 21, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Worn down to dust by the last seven years of being an American, I'll now settle for someone who can pronounce correctly the name of either country.

2. I've also always been a little uncomfortable with his role in the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform bill because of it's First Amendment ramifications.

Basically, it opened the door for conservative commentators, and not without just cause, to rail that we've decided that free speech advocates are only concerned about laws protecting culture (Jesus suspended in urine, etc., etc.) and not laws protecting political speech, which we would assume was at the heart of the framers' intentions. They think we've kind of bastardized the First Amendment, and I don't completely disagree.

3. Money is not speech.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Likewise, at this point in time anyone that doesn't know at least basic differences between Shiites and Sunnis should NOT have any role in elected, federal government. And they have no business calling themselves an expert in foreign affairs, much like I have no business calling myself an expert in Ethiopian cuisine.

5. It becomes a proxy for it when its end is limiting speech.

Saying "Money is not speech" is akin to conservatives defending bans on flag burning, offensive art, etc., by declaring that, "Speech is when you talk."

6. He's not an expert. An expert would never make that mistake.

And how childish was it to not only say he misspoke, but to tack on, "Much like Senator Obama did when he talked about visiting with the 'president' of Canada."

As if that's anywhere close to the same.

7. You can spend your money to express what you want, you are just limited in what you can do in certain areas.
    There is a difference between limiting true expression and limiting what you can spend on political ads.
    Of course, that's just my opinion.

8. I understand what you're saying. But it certainly did open a door for enemies of the First Amendment that I'd have preferred to seen stay closed.

9. And I see what you're saying. I just disagree.
    It's definitely not a black-and-white issue, but there have always been limits on "free speech." There always will be.

10. It's insulting. Four thousand US soldiers are dead, thousands more are injured and wounded, and he screws up the name of the people involved in a civil war that contributed to 95 percent of the dead and wounded and he compares that to mixing up Prime Minister/President of Canada? Fuck you gramps.

Here's my Democratic talking point:

McCain needs a Democrat to whisper the right answers in his ear? How about we cut out the middle man and get a Democrat to provide the right answers to this war by putting one in the White House! (rapturous applause, rapturous applause, rapturous applause)

11. *stands up and starts a slow clap*

12. Unfortunately, Buckley v. Valeo says you're wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted