1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain hoping for racism to rear its head??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, May 18, 2008.

1. The political reformer whose campaign is firing a lobbyist a day. The maverick who's spent seven years cozying up to the worst his party has to offer, whom he himself in 2000 called "agents of intolerance." A guy who actively sought the endorsement of a crazy-assed preacher who's praying for armageddon. A guy who is at this moment in violation of the campaign finance law that bears his own name. A guy who's said he "wouldn't sign" the immigration bill that bore his name. A straight-shooter who you, yourself, said is espousing positions in which he doesn't believe purely for political gain. A angry fighter against money in politics who won't release the tax returns of his sugar-mama who's bankrolled his entire political career. The scourge of big money who used to fly to the Bahamas on Charlie Keating's plane. A friends of the troops who bailed on Jim Webb's GI Bill.
    Biggest. Fake. Ever.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Nice convoluted rationale to justify an irresponsible thread title. Labeling this topic as "racism" is quite a leap.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

WASHINGTON - Republican John McCain's game plan for beating Democrat Barack Obama rests on one huge assumption: Despite an unpopular war, an uncertain economy and the GOP's beleaguered status, the country still leans more to the right than to the left.

Only three graffs later ...

And, although Republicans shy away from publicly discussing it, race could have an enormous role. Public attitudes about issues like taxes and health care have been tested for years, but no one knows whether the nation will elect a black man, Obama, as president.

------

I'm sorry, but this piece -- I can't tell if it's supposed to be a column or a news story or what -- is making precisely that leap over the course of those first four graffs. You're free to argue otherwise, but I'd be curious to see how you pull it off.

4. Link, pls, so we can see the entire context?

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

It was there in the post that started the thread, but just to show my commitment to public service ... :)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080518/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_beating_obama;_ylt=AppEJBnwpHJFfQdMfGID5sGs0NUE

6. Transition:

"Of course, a slew of other factors will come into play, including experience, character and outside events."
    Then the reference to race.
    What's the problem?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think racism is gonna help John McCain. A white dude doesn't have a shot to be president anymore. All they want to hire is black guys and women.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sorry, but this may be a case of us simply seeing this in different ways, and probably no way to ever see eye to eye. However, there were only three mentions of race in this entire article, and the absolute bulk of it had no connection to that issue whatsoever. Furthermore, if you think race/religion/background aren't going to come into play in this election, then I suggest you go back and listen to exit-polling interviews to see that it absolutely IS going to be one of the issues this year.

I stand by what I said in this case, with absolutely no apology or guilt for doing so.

Draft saved Draft deleted