1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain hoping for racism to rear its head??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, May 18, 2008.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

He's already got the nomination locked up. Bigger issue might be whether his base would stay home for the general election if he doesn't pander to them.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think McCain will get anti-Obama votes for whatever reasons and he doesn't need to court that sentiment. He's got to worry about Bob Barr flanking him on the right, hope there is some terror incident or scare between now and November and try and court some of Clinton's supporters.
    And he might want to inject some language like "a new way forward" or "beyond Iraq" into his message.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Are there conservatives out there who still don't think McCain is truly a conservative?

4. Lots of them.
    Largely because the conservative "movement" handed the keys over religious extremists and angry children.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

By calling himself a conservative and taking centrist stances, McCain is hoping he can have it both ways.

Uh-uh.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep, he needs a catchphrase. Bush specialized in them, and Obama has taken a page of of the GOP playbook with his "Change" slogan.

I find it almost ridiculous though, on the rare times I find myself listening to Sean Hannity (long car rides, tired of same 5 songs on the radio) ranting about Obama's "Bumper-sticker campaign." Heck, Bush was using "Cut and Run" every day that someone criticized the Iraq War.

7. Sean Hannity arguing for depth is pretty hilarious listening, though.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

How nice of Liz to assert, with no backing, that conservative = racist.
    What a pile of garbage.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Would you please, for the record, quote aspects of the article you cited where she asserted that being conservative equals racist?

I'm staying away from snarkiness, name-calling and baiting and hoping you really will provide a clear answer on this.

I used to be a Republican, until 1993 or 1994, when I shifted to the very center. Then, in 1996, I went the opposite way, becoming a Democrat and here I stay for the time being. I've always admired the GOP/conservative element in principal (family values, which I can appreciate now as a parent; less government; fiscal responsibility). But the party and conservatives in general have gone well beyond that, in my mind, and I simply don't relate to a large measure of what they preach.

And it's not the average rank-and-file Republican who irks me. If they have a measure of tolerance and compromise (as ALL sides should have) then I get along well with them. But it's the extremists on both sides ... those uber-liberal Democrats whose stances simply alienate too much of the population, and those strict conservatives who have no tolerance and acceptance for anything outside their box ... who annoy me.

And, unfortunately, I have a feeling both of those camps are going to make the next few months unbearable.

Twoback, do yourself a favor and try to stand above those extremes.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you don't like the man, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it... But to classify him as the biggest fake ever among all of the politicians that are out there is just ignorant and absurd.

11. Mizzougrad96

Great post...

12. Mizzougrad96

That's exactly how you get elected. I hate the primary system because some of the extremists on either side (Buchanan, Jerry Brown, Huckabee) can do really well at times when they wouldn't stand a chance in hell of winning a general election.

Draft saved Draft deleted