1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain hopes currency change can 'make it rain'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jul 25, 2013.

1. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

If you make it hail, you might hit one in the coin purse.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Get rid of the bills, then the coins will work. That's why previous efforts have failed, because they did not take bills out of circulation. Until then, the coins will continue to be hoarded.

Canadian strippers seem to manage nicely.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Trying to take the bills right outta The Man's pocket!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

We need to get rid of at least one coin we have, not add more. I never carry change. I hate having it my my pockets. If I am going somewhere that I think I might need it, I'll take 50 cents in the form of a couple of quarters. I do make use of change by depositing any I collect during the course of the day it in a tub and rolling it for exchange a couple of times a year, but I never carry it.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The average dollar bill lasts 18 months. Coins last substantially longer than that, as a quick look through that change pile will prove. Get past the initial costs and you can save a fairly hefty sum in not having to keep printing paper money.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I think a lot of people are like me and would prefer not to carry around change. What it will do is piss off all the merchants because I will start swiping a card for the smallest amounts.

7. Dollar coins are great when you need to buy a subway ticket.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I dunno. You'd be amazed how quickly you get used to carrying around change when it's actually worth something. It's one thing when you have a pile of change and it's worth $1.07. But if it were worth $6.50, it'd be a little different.

Me, I'd rather carry around change than have a wallet that's overstuffed but still only has $23 in it.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If your wallet is overstuffed with $23 you need to get rid of all those cards people are giving you.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Still better than Korea. Took 300,000 won, or something less than $300, out of an ATM -- and it came out in 10,000-won notes. It's like trying to carry around $250 in fives.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Everyone already does that anyway.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If they get rid of bills and go to all coins, I am going to need a Canadian-sized change purse.

I will not use a credit or debit card for $5 purchases. If I don't have the coin on hand, I shouldn't be being it. Stupidest thing ever is soda machines that take credit cards. A credit card for a $2 soda bottle?!?!?!!?
    Some bank is making a nice coin on processing fees.

Draft saved Draft deleted