1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain gets confronted with his record by a Vet; gets testy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jul 8, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

True, Mizzou.
    It's only OK to call out a Democratic candidate on his Vietnam record.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

"I thank you, and I'll be glad to examine what your version of my record is. But again, I've been enorsed in every election by all of the veteran's organizations that do that. I've been supported by them and received their highest awards, so I guess they don't know something you know."

That's a pretty snarky thing to say.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not defending that. Never did.

4. Mizzougrad96

I would have given him a standing ovation.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

McCain takes credit for a bill he was against. Then he lies about his voting record with regard to veteran's issues. Of course you would give him a standing ovation.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So what? Why does McCain standing up for himself get this kind of reaction? If he's wrong, and he hasn't gotten those platitudes from veterans organizations, you might have a point, but otherwise I see nothing wrong with him heading this guy off in person.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I didn't hear the guy question his military record.
    He questioned why he repeatedly voted against additional health benefits for soldiers returning from Iraq ... very legit question.

The answer, while not nearly as snarky as spinning claims, was quite the tap dance if you ask me. And McCain got very defensive for no apparent reason...unless the guy said something that was not picked up by the mike.

8. Mizzougrad96

Kerry would have had the guy tasered. :D

9. I excuse McCain's tone. A candidate has to have the sharp tongue in that case to show he's still in control. You can't let someone in the audience own you.

What I don't excuse is the vacuous, droning answer he gave in between. It made absolutely no sense and indicated to me that he's full of shit.

10. Don't you understand? You can never question McCain about anything military, even if the facts backup your criticism. He was a POW for five years, in case you hadn't heard.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

It looked the guy tried to interrupt McCain and that's when McCain pointed out that he allowed him to ask a question uninterrupted, so he should get to answer uninterrupted.

And we don't know if the guy was talking about actual bills or poison pill amendments or whatnot. He didn't offer much context and McCain was smart not to assume he knew what the man was referring to,

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Whoa, wait a minute. I thought McCain "didn't like to talk about" his POW experience for political purposes.

Draft saved Draft deleted