1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain eligibility in question?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

http://news.aol.com/elections/story/_a/mccains-birthplace-raises-questions/20080228093909990001

Who will be his veep? Arnold?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: How is McCain even eligible to run for President?

I can't think of any place more American than the Panama Canal Zone.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Please...

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How about The Green Zone in Baghdad?

5. Simon_Cowbell

Please?

All of us were brought up with this as one of those facts.... death, taxes and if you weren't born in this country you can't be president.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, that too.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

As long as McCain doesn't look or sound Panamanian or wear one of those jaunty hats, I got no problem.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm firewalled out of AOL sites. Anyone wanna give us the highlights?

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

No Simon, not "if you weren't born in this country." If you arenlt a natural born citizen .. as in the child of two US citizens, born on a US military base...anywhere in the damn world.

10. Simon_Cowbell

From AOL:

Mr. McCain’s likely nomination as the Republican candidate for president and the happenstance of his birth in the Panama Canal Zone in 1936 are reviving a musty debate that has surfaced periodically since the founders first set quill to parchment and declared that only a “natural-born citizen” can hold the nation’s highest office.

Almost since those words were written in 1787 with scant explanation, their precise meaning has been the stuff of confusion, law school review articles, whisper campaigns and civics class debates over whether only those delivered on American soil can be truly natural born. To date, no American to take the presidential oath has had an official birthplace outside the 50 states.

“There are powerful arguments that Senator McCain or anyone else in this position is constitutionally qualified, but there is certainly no precedent,” said Sarah H. Duggin, an associate professor of law at Catholic University who has studied the issue extensively. “It is not a slam-dunk situation.”

11. Simon_Cowbell

If my wife and I had a child in Windsor, Canada, there would be no restriction?

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I certainly don't support McCain, but he's an American who just happened to be be born on an American military base outside the country. To me, that's not a big deal. Yes, maybe "natural born" has never been defined, but the guy is an American.

Draft saved Draft deleted