1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain completes sellout

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jul 2, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Hmm. 20 years ago was 1988. Wasn't that the Willie Horton candidacy?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bush and Dukakis also gave people reasons to vote for them. That's the last election you could say that about both candidates.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

It doesn't matter what their personal views are. The media has a large role in determining campaign narratives, and they often do it with half-truths. Al Gore never said he invented the Internet; any reasonable person knows that. Yet it was held over his head and the "exaggerator" narrative was born.

Forget being a flip-flopper; McCain is a flat-out liar. In this day and age, you can't say something, then deny it when it gets thrown back at you. He does it on everything and lies through his teeth. If you want to say your position has evolved, fine. But McCain, instead, sits there and denies it when there's bountiful evidence to the contrary. There is more than enough material there to make this a campaign narrative: McCain, the double-talk express, the guy who never seems to remember what he says. Where is that narrative? Where is it?

Classic example today. McCain has been going apeshit about Wesley Clark. So when he finally gets asked how exactly his POW experience relates to his presidential qualifications, he completely freaks out.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/07/mccain-in-colom.html

If you're going to play the outrage game over Wes Clark, then you can't refuse to release your military records and use the "I don't like talking about it" excuse. It's complete bullshit. McCain should be getting hammered for this. He is reluctant to talk about Vietnam? Are you kidding? What have we been hearing for the last four days?

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I think the media need to do a better job of openly ripping political candidates whose views I disagree with.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And for those who didn't click the link, here's the "complete freak out":

Yeah, damn, that's borderline psychotic.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, reminds me of Lee Elia...

Draft saved Draft deleted