1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain: Being in an orphanage is better than having two gay parents

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jul 13, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

From a Q&A in the NYT:

Q: President Bush believes that gay couples should not be permitted to adopt children. Do you agree with that?

Mr. McCain: I think that we’ve proven that both parents are important in the success of a family so, no I don’t believe in gay adoption.

Q: Even if the alternative is the kid staying in an orphanage, or not having parents.

Mr. McCain: I encourage adoption and I encourage the opportunities for people to adopt children I encourage the process being less complicated so they can adopt as quickly as possible. And Cindy and I are proud of being adoptive parents.

2. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Man, I saw the thread title and didn't even need to guess which poster started it.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Another nugget from the interview.

Q: But do you go on line for yourself?

Mr. McCain: They go on for me. I am learning to get online myself, and I will have that down fairly soon, getting on myself. I don’t expect to be a great communicator, I don’t expect to set up my own blog, but I am becoming computer literate to the point where I can get the information that I need – including going to my daughter’s blog first, before anything else.

Q: Do you use a blackberry or email?

Mr. McCain: No

This is the guy you want leading us into the 21st century?

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Oh wait, there's more!

Q: How do you feel about teaching evolution in schools?

Mr. McCain: I think, first of all, it’s up to the school boards. That’s why we have local control over education. So my personal view is that children should be exposed to as much as they possibly can so that they can make their decisions and be the best informed. But I really believe that school boards are elected in order to make a lot of those decisions, and I respect their decisions unless they are unconstitutional in some way or, you know.

Q: If you were on a school board, how would you vote?

Mr. McCain: I don’t know, Adam. I’d have to see the proposal, I’d have to see where it lies in the curriculum, I’d have to – I can’t. I’m not running for school board.

Way to move the ball forward, John.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, he is what he is.
    Shouldn't come as any big surprise to anybody.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Indeed. But he is so out of touch it's scary.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

how can he be president unless he learns how to blog and twitter?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He could be lovely and talented.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Let me see -- the same group of liberal mafia members who are trying to split hairs about Al Gore's use of the word create as opposed to invent are now taking this kind of creative liberty with what John McCain said here. Never once does McCain even approach answering the "gotcha" question he was asked about an orphanage, but Spinning has decided to fill in the blanks....

Meanwhile Al Gore DID say he created the internet, but THAT'S DIFFERENT!!!!!!

Yep, not hypocrites at all.......

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

That is an absolutely fantastic response! Bravo!
    As for McCain's stance on both parents in the household, I would assume he is going to outlaw divorces and prohibit children from being conceived out of wedlock.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You don't think McCain answered the question by not answering the question? The choice is orphonage or gay parents. That's it. And McCain cowardly says lets just make adoption easier, which didn't have jack shit to do with the question.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The real McCain continues to be revealed...

Draft saved Draft deleted