1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain at his pandering best

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jun 3, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

What are you implying?

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

To be fair, the Indian-American, Hindu-turned-Catholic, exorcism-observing governor of Louisiana, Piyush "Bobby" Jindal and his wife were there.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure when but at some point the Republican party I joined first and foremost stood for low taxes, small government and strong defense.

At some point during the Reagan era it became the party of deficit spending, the party of tax cuts accompanied by increased budgets and it also became the party of morality in the cultural war. By the mid 1990's the party had lost its damn mind and began to try and fight the cultural war with nuclear weapons, complete with paranoia, fear-mongering and flatout racism.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Actually, I have to give Bush credit for this (God, that hurt to type): He pretty much opposes the gas tax. I think he'd sign it if it somehow got through Congress, but the White House has pretty much said it's not all that great an idea.

As for the idiotic "overturning the will of the voters" meme, Obama still has more pledged delegates than Hillary. Neither of them had enough pledged delegates to reach the magic number, but he had more pledged delegates than she did. Maybe someone can explain how that overturns the will of the voters, but I sure as hell can't.

I'm guessing that when Obama wins the general, we'll hear yet more idiotic babbling about how McCain won 26 states or some such, thereby proving his election was the will of the voters and he's really the president after all.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Age discrimination? I don't think I'm off base having concerns about a guy who is 3,295 being our President. And I don't think that makes me less of a nice guy. And to someone else's point, yeah, a President that age would make me shudder. Doesn't mean I don't respect the guy for his service to the country and all that. I just don't want him as President. That doesn't even take into account the whole "a third term for Bush" argument.

I can't believe a reasonably intelligent person thinks the past four years have been a shining example of leadership. Does anyone really want more of that?

I'm about the nicest guy in the world. Cute, in a fat and bald kind of way. I wouldn't want me to be President either!

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

When you find one who doesn't pander, let me know.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

After eight years of complaining that the 2000 election was stolen from them, the Dems have gone ahead and cooked the books in Michigan so they can move on with nominating Obama.
    That's what I call justice.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

There was no cooking of the books. The real decision would have been to seat zero delagates, but they didn't want to piss Mich. and Fla. off (which is exactly why those two swing states felt empowered to jump the line). Left with a bad situation, they split the baby.

And, until last night, nothing pissed me off about Hillary more than the way she left herself on the ballot in Michigan.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Meanwhile, McCain finished a strong third place in Montana last night:

Romney 38%
    Paul 25%
    McCain 22%
    Huckabee 15%

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#MT

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Those results aren't from last night. They are from a caucus that was held in February, while there was still a race. Last night, in a meaningless primary, McCain got 77 percent of the vote and Ron Paul, who is hanging around and had a lot of support there, got 21 percent. Hardly anyone voted. They are going to send all their delegates for McCain anyhow.

11. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I reminded of a 90s era comedian, talking about Bob Dole, who said, "My grandfather's 72, we don't let him handle the remote."

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I don't know what the hell he was saying, to be honest.

Winger, I'll concede 'party elders,' but I won't give you 'pundits.' That was classless.

Then in the next breath, he says Obama will be formidable. Does that mean-- yeah, the pundits picked him, and they did a good job. I don't get it.

I think you're right, and the only way Obama can reverse course is to boot Hillary's ass from anywhere near the ticket. That would take some balls.

-------------

I want to thank the zagster for his honest posts. I have enjoyed reading his thoughts on this thread. I've called out Obama for some of his crap... and I expect you conservatives to do the same for your guy.

------------

I think what makes me cringe the most about McCain other than that creepy smile he makes after every point-- a tic that he won't be able to overcome, by the way-- it's ingrained-- obviously somebody told him he needed to smile more so that he doesn't seem so mean-- yeah, that worked-- what makes me cringe the most is Bobby Jindal.

Does anyone here seriously believe Jindal will be on that ticket?

Draft saved Draft deleted