1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain at his pandering best

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Well, the absolute bare minimum number of delegates required to win the Democratic nomination for president is 2,117. Obama didn't top that number without help from superdelegates, which you probably haven't seen discussed much during this campaign. Apparently they're elected and unelected party big-wigs and such...again, it's kind of an underground story.

I'm not saying -- and neither, I suspect is McCain -- that Obama didn't deserve the nomination. But you can sing all night about the will of the people and not get around the fact that he didn't -- indeed, couldn't -- clinch the nomination without the superdelegate tide turning.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Why the hell not? It was the biggest implication against Bob Dole in 1996 and it worked.

3. Mighty_Wingman

"Effective" does not mean "right," much less "nice" (which, you'll note, is the word I used). And I suppose I hold Moddy to a higher standard anyway.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm quite sure I'll eventually come to my senses and vote for Bob Barr but.....

Having listened to McCain I am thinking I might vote for Obama even though he doesn't stand on the same side of one issue that I can think of as me.

McCain is a dolt, he is a Bush clone and he is a guy who represents everything that is wrong with our political system......

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Neither could she. That's why they're there. Sorry the Dems don't run their races like the GOP, but Obama won according to the rules. She spent two months saying she wanted the superdelegates to put her over the top and nullify the elected delegate lead he amassed. Now that they've rejected her pleas, Obama's win is somehow illegitimate? Sorry, but that makes no sense.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

McCain is such an awful giver of prepared speeches that it is almost endearing. Except when he gives a meanspirited speech like tonight.

7. Mighty_Wingman

1. Reasonable people can disagree, I suppose, but "dolt" seems a bit strong. Personal attacks are so 2004.

2. This just isn't true. Hopefully some lefty on this board will be fair-minded enough to agree with me here...sure, McCain is sort of More Bush Than Bush on the war, but they have plenty of substantive differences on other issues.

3. Um...how, exactly? I mean, I'm not crazy about his campaign finance "reform," but everything that is wrong with our political system? Really? John McCain, and not, say, Bill O'Reilly, or William Jefferson, or any of dozens of others, elected and not, who are far, far worse?

8. Mighty_Wingman

I honestly think we more or less agree here...and I don't think anyone, including John McCain, is saying Obama's win is illegitimate. I was taking issue with the aptly named spinning, whose presence causes me to miss F_B more every day.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

2000 McCain wasn't a Bush clone.

But it's been seven long years of soul-crushing hugs.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I think we all miss Fenian.

11. Mighty_Wingman

You know I love ya, Zeke, but I'd like to see some legwork done on this. It's not much of a talking point without proof beyond hugs and the war.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Voting to make the Bush tax cuts permanent after speaking out against them?

Draft saved Draft deleted