1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain about to pick Jindal?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jul 21, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

When has a VP choice actually excited anyone?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There have been quite a few bad ones lately.

Gore was a good pick in 1992. I liked Dole's choice of Kemp in 1996. I like Lieberman, but picking him might have cost Gore the election in 2000.

3. RossLT

RossLT Guest

That's true I have a problem with anyone who uses religion as a crutch for everything in their life and I think there are far too many people who do.

4. And how do you know it's a crutch? Just because you don't believe the same things someone else does doesn't mean it's a crutch.

My religion is not a crutch for me, I assure you.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Granted, it was an odd request to make, given that they're not running for the same office. But I fail to see how Jindal's executive experience is relevant to a position whose only constitutional mandate (I know you love those) is legislative in nature.

Fact of the matter is, there's virtually no reason to be comparing the executive credentials of the VP candidates, and there's certainly no reason to compare the credentials of a presidential candidate and a VP nominee. I do like the assumption made earlier that the Democrats would automatically attack his lack of experience, which glossed right over the hypocrisy of criticizing Obama's lack of experience, then choosing Jindal.

And I maintain that the inexperience card should be played very, very cautiously in this election. I don't think people see it as quite the negative that you think they do.

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I know a whole lot of people who use it as a crutch, not saying you are one, but there are a lot of people that take it a little too far. I have met people who believe that every, single thing they do is because god told them to. They literally believe that if they get lost driving to someone's house that God wanted them to. I think that is a little odd and trust me if getting lost had anything to do with God's will, I would be in his good graces forever.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Now Novack is saying he was just being used by McCain's camp to get some pub for McCain's campaign. I don't think it will be Jindal, I'd be surprised if it isn't Romney. No one else gives him more of a boost where he needs it.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Maybe if you read the entire thread and stopped trying to attack those who disagree with you, you wouldn't make posts like this based on silly assumptions about who raised certain issues.

Lamar Mundane -- a liberal by the way -- was the first person to bring up Jindal's lack of experience for the job and said he didn't want a guy with his lack of experience "one step from the button."

Hence the comparison of his experience and Lamar's hero, who by the way will be sitting at the button from day one, not one step removed from it.......

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Is it completely inconceivable that I might disagree with his assessment, too? I know we're all supposed to be in the mafia, but I happen to think he's wrong to make that comparison. However, to the extent that I directed criticism toward you rather than to him, I do apologize.

That is not to say I don't stand by my points, though. Inasmuch as any president will surround himself with experienced advisers, I just don't worry about the inexperience. And I really don't think that running a state can compare in any meaningful way with running the most powerful country in the world. Does it hurt? No. Is it the be-all end-all? Nah.

And again, I think a lot of people this time around are going to equate "experience" with "more of the same."

10. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

First, you don't know who my heroes are. None are politicians.

Second, as dynamic as Obama is and as the only candidate who had the foresite to oppose the Iraq invasion beforehand, he wasn't 3rd on my list of nominees.

I've said here before Bill Richardson has the best resume of either party but b/c he's not a senator with big-money hanging around him, he stood no chance.

Finally, Obama's Iraq judgement and reasoning give me confidence he knows how and when to use military force. He said what I've said since Sept. 11, if Pakistan won't get Bin Laden's goons, and we get credible info - he will strike without hesitation.

Jindal, he walked through New Orleans once at night.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I can't believe I am uttering this about a post you made -- but I agree with you - the experience debate is mostly nonsensical and frankly it is hurting McCain because I think people are mostly ready to turn the page on old-time and old timers politics.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The flames of hell have been extinguished.

Draft saved Draft deleted