1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCain about to pick Jindal?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jul 21, 2008.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I think Jindal would make a hideous president, but I'm going to give him a pass on the name changing. If I were a kid growing up in Louisiana (or anywhere in this country, probably) with the name Piyush, I'd pick another name too.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh I don't know, how about the fact that he is the executive in charge of running an entire state and is doing the closest job we have to that of running the country and that is something Obama has never had to do?

3. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I hope McCain agrees with every word you just posted and picks him. I truly do.

4. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

yeah, he's done a heck of a job running that state. When was the last time an executive from a southern state was elected President?

That's worked out well. Jindal is a future star but he has neither the charisma or the ideas Obama has.

Perhaps Jindal will learn how to be against tax cuts before you're for them, against off-shore drilling before you're for it, against Falwell before you're for him.

Obama has been a national figure for 4 years - like it or not, his speech at the 2004 Dem convention is the best since early Reagan.

Granted not worthy of being President but what is the alternative?

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Um, the last governor or a southern state to get elected?

Bill Clinton?

Jimmy Carter?

Yeah, I can see your point.......

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Somebody who is younger than I am might be Vice President?
    Yep, more evidence life has truly passed me by.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hell, someone younger than me might be President. :eek: :eek:

I think picking Jindal and then emphasizing his youth and energy will blow up on the Repubes big-time: it will only show, by contrast, how much youth and energy McCain does not have.

The only way that helps the GOP much is if the Dems take a grizzled-old D.C. vet (Gephardt??) as VP, which will emphasize Obama's lack of experience.

It can be a big mistake to select people for your ticket to offset your supposed "weaknesses," because by doing that, you implicitly acknowledge the "weaknesses" are valid.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And if he's on the ticket, the Dems hit will use the not-so-subtle reminding the American public about outsourcing to Bangalore...

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see all the conservatives who insist on using Obama's middle name also using Jindal's real first name.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have no real reason to say this, but I think it's feint.

Romney is the solid, sensible choice and I think it's the choice McCain will make.

That he's finally making a choice even as Barry flits around the Middle East? Priceless.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, Romney makes the most sense. He's younger and more energetic than McCain, but not by so much that the comparison is simply visually glaring.

He's the perfect age (60) to be ready to step in in 2012 if McCain decided to call it quits after one term, and still be young enough at 68 to run in 2016 if he did serve out two terms. And, if McCain loses, he'd be the heir apparent in 2012.

Draft saved Draft deleted