1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McAdam finally jumps ship

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bob, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Don't neglect the context I provided and the updating of my traditional view on this. ;)

Never have liked folks who give away the store or bosses who tolerate it and pretend that it's great promotion for the paper -- without knowing one iota whether the paper gains or loses a red cent. Some of the bosses should pay attention to what that can do to erode staff morale. Still believe that, always will. But again, if the person puts the paper first -- as Michael Gee assures us that McAdam did -- then it should be a non-issue. I just never have believed that folks who do 2-3 hour daily radio shows or alter their writing topics to accommodate some other media gig/schedule could honestly keep the paper first.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

It's the State school. They play on Saturday's. What else is there to cover in early fall?

Sure, they have the Sox. And then...?

They sure as hell aren't covering hs football games from the area. Instead, they fill their pages with AP crap and wonder why people are turning away.

3. Joe, you're so right on the money with your post that this thread should be shut down-- game over.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Example of some of the prep coverage decisions made by the ProJo lately...
    If they wanted to spotlight the Bay View volleyball team and run a nearly full-page spread on them, fine. But couldn't they do it on a day Bay View was facing halfway decent opposition? Rogers couldn't even score in double digits in two of the three games, yet that matchup gets highlighted in the paper and on the Web.
    Does anybody still have a finger with a pulse to take the pulse of the prep scene?

5. schiezainc

They don't care enough to know anything about the prep scene. All you've got to do is ask the sports reporters at any of the state's smaller papers and you'll hear all the stories. Like the time Rob Lee walked into the state indoor track championships (an all-day event) five minutes after the final event was run. Sure, to the idiot reader his story had all the info you needed, but for anyone who cared anything about the sport, the coverage was pathetic.

6. yeah, insult the readers, go ahead.

shouldn't surprise me, seeing some of the other posts you've made here. (hey, i wanna boink sarah palin!)

7. schiezainc

Where did I insult the reader?

I said that to the IDIOT reader, it seems like all is well. I wasn't calling their readers idiots, you idiot.

8. terrier

Classic. We've come a long way from the days when each of the then twice-weekly zoned editions has its own sports guy, in addition to John Gillooly (who was still also SID at Bryant College). In my local prep days, there was a ProJo guy practically everywhere I went.
    No F-T layoffs in sports - Sean's departure did spare somebody's job after all.

9. terrier

Update...the ProJo is moving a City Hall reporter onto the Red Sox beat.
    There was not even a staff byline (just a nameless Special to the Journal) on the URI-Brown Governor's Cup game Saturday.

Draft saved Draft deleted