1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mayweather-Pacquiao: Bring it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 20, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Mayweather decision by KO, TKO, DQ pays 6 to 1.

Your move, Chef!

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Mayweather wins by decision, an outcome so predictable I probably won't even buy the fight.

Also, I have a hard time stomaching putting even more money into that piece of trash's bank account.

3. JackReacher

I think the only way I'd buy the fight is if I had a bunch of friends over to split the cost. Otherwise, I'll be watching at a bar. Most times, there's no cover for a PPV fight (boxing or UFC). I'll be interested to see if that holds true for this one.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I watched Pacquiao - Bradley, and that fight single-handedly killed any love I still had for boxing. At one point I would have been really excited for this fight. Now, I don't even have enough faith in the sport to care.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You know, I'll probably watch out of curiosity, but this fight was supposed to be five years ago when I gave a fuck.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That was probably the one decision worse than Pacquaio's "win" over Marquez a few months earlier.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Serious question: Instead of a revival, does this fight (and any subsequent rematches) mark the death rattle for boxing?

I'm not asking as a boxing cynic. I actually quite like boxing. But after this fight is over, what is left that would appeal to the general population? These aren't the two biggest names left. They are the ONLY names left that mean anything to the casual sports fan.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is Vegas offering odds on whether or not the fight actually happens? Because I'm not believing it until they touch gloves in the center of the ring.

9. MisterCreosote

I made a Bernard Hopkins comparison earlier that I think holds up. Floyd Mayweather, like Hopkins (and Klitschko, for that matter), is a flawless tactician, which makes for boring fights. Both are so good at neutralizing opponents' strengths and staying out of harm's way that neither get the credit they deserve.

People who hear that this is the Biggest Fight of All-Time!!!! will want more than Mayweather's tactical brilliance. They'll want Gatti-Ward, Hagler-Hearns, Pryor-Arguello, Chavez-Taylor, etc. And they won't get it.

10. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Floyd's too fast, Hernandez was the only one who had a real and he couldnt.

11. JackReacher

And it's going to be so awesome when, after the fight, you hear thousands of idiots scream "HOLY SHIT I CAN'T BELIEVE I PAID FOR THIS/SPENT TIME IN A BAR FOR THIS!!!! IT WAS SO BORING!!!!!"

Those people are the best.

12. MisterCreosote

Who? What? Are you talking about Genaro Hernandez?

Draft saved Draft deleted