1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mayweather-Pacquiao: Bring it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Would've cared five years ago. But not today. If they'd fought in their primes it would've really meant something, but not when Pacquiao's a shell of his former self, and both guys are near the end.

The real Pacquiao v. Mayweather question will never be answered. They waited too long.

Rusty Shackleford likes this.
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Despite the annoying "I wouldve watched 5 years ago" crowd, this fight is still expected to pummel the PPV buy record, even with a likely $100 price tag.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I know we can't predict the future, but I say this is the fight that vaults boxing back into prominence. In a couple of years, it will be behind only the NFL in popularity.

But, hey, who knows. Maybe lacrosse will take off instead.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Only one thing will return boxing to prominence -- superstar heavyweights.

Songbird likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

How do you guys even get into boxing? Seriously?

Do you buy the fights on PPV on a regular basis?

I feel like I would watch boxing if it was more accessible, and recognizable boxers fought more often/regularly.

But, since I'm not into it, I'm not going to purchase the PPV, and without purchasing the PPV, I don't see how I'm going to get into it.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Very few fights are PPV anymore. A lot of the "big" fights are on HBO/Showtime.

7. YankeeFan

Ah, well, I don't have those channels either.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Bring back Wide World of Sports!

9. YankeeFan

The thrill of victory; the agony of defeat.

10. Mr. Sunshine

In all seriousness, boxing is never going to be easily accessible like it used to be. Even IF a couple of premier heavyweights came along to grab the nation's interest, the promoters are not going to give up the power to keep the sport in their pockets, so to speak. The reason MMA has become so popular is that the people running the sport have figured out how to make it accessible while also getting rich. Well, that and the proliferation of the douchebag demographic.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Some of us can simultaneously anticipate the fight while admitting we would've cared more when it meant more, and that it would've been better if they hadn't ducked each other for six years like pussies.

You know what one of the highest grossing fights of all time is? Mike Tyson vs. Peter McNeeley.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Wladimir Klitschko is easily the best and most dominant heavyweight champion since pre-Douglas Mike Tyson. He's better than his brother, Holyfield, Foreman, Moorer, Bowe and Lewis.

And nobody cares. That would likely still be the case even if he were American.

Draft saved Draft deleted