1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mayfield tests positive ... again?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

"hasn't one"??

Oh, okay. I'll definitely defer to your opinion from now on. ::)

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Really? So to you the way NASCAR has handled this seems straightforward and in line with the way any other pro sport might handle something as simple as a competitor failing a drug test?

Maybe I missed the stories of MLB investigators chasing down random family members of every guy who contests a failed drug test. Maybe I overlooked the stories in which NFL spokespersons personally attacked players who contested their failed tests.

I'll say again, Mayfield might very well have failed the first test. But the way NASCAR is acting with this, it seems as if something isn't quite right. They sure are trying awfully hard to convince people that this guy is a meth addict. And they've been doing it since the start, with their little hints here or there and outright attacks at other times, well before Mayfield filed suit.

It will be interesting to hear the explanations of NASCAR if Mayfield's other tests are, in fact, clean, as he claims.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That pretty much sums up the whole thing right thurr.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That affidavit just smells. He's been mething it up for a decade and no one associated with any of his 1,000 teams didn't know about it? Or, won't go on the record about it?

Not passing my BS test.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I saw an interviewer ask, "So you're saying NASCAR paid your stepmother to allege that she saw you using meth? Why would they do that?"

His response: "Why wouldn't they?"

Sorry I'm not buying his denials.

And if I were his stepmother, I'd already have my lawyers doing the paperwork for the slander suit. He pretty much accused her of murder on national TV today (assuming, you know, that she didn't actually murder his father).

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I don't know jack about this situation, but it seems that he has very littke cintact with the stepmother. So it makes no sense from NASCAR to include her affidavit unless they were dying for someone, anyone to be able to quite from in their press release.

7. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I dunno, but this woman makes Teresa Earnhardt look like Mother, well ... Teresa.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, Junior hasn't done so well for himself after leaving the Wicked Stepmother.

To her credit, she has kept a low profile. Junior can't blame her for his inability to score wins, and cousin Tony Eusury getting bumped out as crew chief, among other things.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

NASCAR has been in the business of rigging things for decades, but I don't see the motive here. As to the timing of the failed drug test relative to the TRO his lawyer won in court, I've got to think that anybody under drug-related suspension is going to be tested within seven days of anything. It's just part of the deal.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

According to Mayfield's attorney, in a test performed by LabCorp from a sample take at the hospital in Hickory, N.C, after his most recent "positive" test ... Mayfield tested negative. That's apparently where he was when NASCAR demanded he go to his house for its own test.

Also, the medical examiner in Broward County, Fla., has filed an affidavit on Mayfield's behalf in which he says the levels of methamphetamine detected in NASCAR's tests (performed by Aegis Analytical Laboratories) are are “ 'astronomical' and 'could not be remotely accurate, unless Mr. Mayfield was deceased or a chronic abuser.'”

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?num=0&id=4346544

Between this and the statements from Mayfield's stepmother ... NASCAR's not looking very good right now.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Any reason we can't rule out "chronic abuser"?

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Any reason we can't rule it out?

Other than NASCAR's tests -- which appear more questionable by the day -- and an affidavit from someone who's credibility is questionable, why should anyone take it as an article of faith he's a chronic abuser?

Draft saved Draft deleted