1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mayfield tests positive ... again?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Big. BIG difference between a phantom caution flag and an altered drug test.

Sorry, I just flat out don't believe Mayfield.

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Lemme ask this: Would NASCAR's case not be much more believable without the affidavit from his stepmother?

Including that affidavit, at least to me, makes it seem as though NASCAR was worried about its case and was out beating the bushes to find anyone who had witnessed the guy doing meth. And they ended up with someone who is less than credible, to put it mildly.

And honestly, really think about what this woman is saying here -- that one of NASCAR's more recognizable names was cooking meth (COOKING METH in his own lab) as far back as a decade ago and no one found out until this random test a few weeks ago. If that's the case, then NASCAR has itself one helluva meth problem, because the only way you couldn't spot a 10-year meth addict is if you're high on meth.

I think they woulda been better off to just let the tests stand and act as if they're ... oh, I don't know ... a professional sport's governing body.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

As goalmouth has pointed out, NASCAR blackballed Tim Richmond with a bogus drug test because nobody wanted a guy with AIDS on the circuit.

Anyone who says NASCAR isn't capable of making up drug test results is wilfully blind.

4. I'm not sure Mayfield would qualify as one of the more recognizable names. If I was listing first 15 or 20 drivers, I'm not sure Mayfield would be among them.

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I didn't mean to imply that the guy is/was a star. I just meant that most racing people -- drivers, promoters, shop guys, crewmen, etc. -- would recognize Mayfield, and many of them probably knew him. While he's never achieved a lot, Mayfield has been around a while, worked with a lot of the top people and been in some recognizable rides.

To hide a 10-year meth addiction from all those people -- or to keep it quiet once a few of them knew -- seems like a real stretch.

Again, not saying he's innocent here, just that NASCAR didn't do itself any favors by including the affidavit.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

So we're supposed to believe that NASCAR falsifiedadrug tests and paid Mayfield's stepmother to file an fraudulent affidavit with the court?
    I guess I didn't realize the people running NASCAR wanted to kill their "sport" by committing a succession of felonies to "get" one bad guy.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Normally I'd be with you, Spnited, but after Mayfield won his court case a few weeks ago ... let's just say the sudden reveal of a "new" drug test that's dated less than a week after Mayfield won that case is more than a little suspicious.

I'm with Dog and Hondo on this one. Something is rotten in Denmark.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, if it's that rotten, then it's time to shut down the whole fucking redneck sport.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Jeremy Mayfield just got a call from Amy Winehouse and doesn't know why

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Your bad for calling it a sport to begin with.

11. Denmark is a 'fer piece' from Charlotte.

Sorry, I've learned my lesson; I don't believe athletes - no matter how much they yell and scream - who claim they are innocent and it's all a vast conspiracy.
    And BTW: Wasn't Mayfield supposed to take a (random) drug test last week but failed to show up at the appointed site, claiming he got lost. And then after seven hours of dicking around NASCAR had to send someone to his house to perform the test?
    Nothing suspicious there.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Mayfield hasn't won one jack squat. Getting temporary court order to get back on the track is different from winning a case. And all of these conspiracy people need a new brand of tin foil to wear on their heads.

Draft saved Draft deleted