1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe they should R E A D the submitted content for Student of the Week before printing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Feb 28, 2021.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I always wanted a Trapper Keeper, but my parents' budget for school supplies only provided for a generic looseleaf binder and a couple of folders. That was with my dad being a school principal who got way more geeked up about shopping for school supplies for me than I did.

playthrough and Fdufta like this.
  2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Trapper Keepers were the shit. They carried such promise, and by the second week of school, they were dinged up, disorganized and at the bottom of the desk or locker.

Fdufta and dixiehack like this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The thing I always hated was that we had to make paperbag covers for our school books because 1. I liked how the books looked without the bags, and most importantly 2. It was a pain in the ass to have to make the covers.

maumann and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Book covers were everything. How could you pledge your undying love for ______ if you DIDN'T WRITE IT ON YOUR BOOK COVER?

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Or your favorite hard rock bands.

DOKKEN ROOLZ

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

When I was 14 you could have blindfolded me and I'd have a brown bag book cover filled with typographically perfect band logos in under 10 minutes.

(Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Fates Warning, Testament, Overkill, Metal Church, Nuclear Assault, Suicidal Tendencies)

Dokken...thought George Lynch was cool, but couldn't openly admit as much on a book cover.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And then there's that time in elementary school when you suddenly realize lunch boxes decorated with your favorite cartoon characters are for "little kids" and you're fine with a brown bag. Loved my Speed Buggy and Fat Albert boxes.

upload_2021-3-2_6-0-10.jpeg [​IMG]

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Kids today don’t know what it’s like to open a lunchbox thermos on a Monday and discover mom forgot to replace Friday’s milk. :eek:

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My son carries his lunch about 2-3 times a week. And yes, he has forgotten to finish his lunch Friday, leave the lunch bag in his bag over the weekend, and because of the pandemic, he didn't go back to school until Tuesday. Then he got to school and saw his lunch bag and so he didn't get lunch at school, opened up his bag and was greeted with a half-eaten 4-day-old Lunchable & a cut up apple! LOL
    He's better at emptying his lunch bag now! :)

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Listen to this faux thrash metalhead shit. Overkill! Metal Church! Nuclear Assault! And there you are in your room bopping along to "Dream Warriors." :D

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

I once opened up a Thermos (is that a proper noun? it feels like it should be) only to find it'd broken and my drink was submerged in shards of glass. Glass Thermoses. WTF.

maumann and Mngwa like this.
  12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

NGL, "Dream Warriors" and "Alone Again" got played more than I will ever admit to.

"Mr. Scary," though...that still gets cranked to this day.

Draft saved Draft deleted