1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe that Felony Drug Conviction is Part of the Reason You're Unemployed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh, and every media outlet in the nation cared when that unemployed chick standing next to Obama was used to bludgeon the Republicans in Congress.

Shouldn't they care now?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yet another example that the Smartest Guy in the Room has some stupid fucking people working for him.

From a PR standpoint there is no way in hell this woman should have been anywhere near that press conference. A simple public records search would have seen to that.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Really? You're going to compare this to Dan Rather?

Dan Rather deserved to be fired, and it was embarrassing that it took so long. So stuff it with the "mistakes don't matter" bullshit.

This is an unemployed chick who turned out to have a record. Is it a false narrative? Even your own post quotes the CEO as saying she wasn't fired for any illegal activity, so I don't know that it's a false narrative. It's a shitty example, sure.

The notion that this shit is what the press should be focusing on is just astounding to me.

4. PCLoadLetter

Really? She was used to bludgeon the Republicans?

Did anyone even name her in the coverage? Because I'm not sure I even saw her image in any of the coverage. I know I didn't use it.

5. PCLoadLetter

Now this is an absolutely valid comment. Can't believe no one did the basic background check.

6. YankeeFan

I comparing your response to Rather's.

You evidence has changed, but the story is still fine as far as you're concerned.

I'm sure the "CEO" doesn't want t get in the middle of this, but whatever reason she was fired, her continued unemployment surely isn't helped by her drug conviction.

And I don't think the press needs to "focus" on this woman.

But they could have looked up from their notepads long enough to find out if the story was true. Is that a "focus" or is that doing the absolute minimum required of your profession?

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

It's quite a bit different than Joe the Plumber, who instantly became a celebrity. I don't follow your country's politics much but I've never heard of this woman, so equating her with Mr. Plumber is pretty weak.

Also, how long did it take for someone to break the story that Joe wasn't a plumber? Ten days before someone looked up this woman's past seems reasonable given that it wasn't a big story in the first place.

But yes, good for you to expose it. Go give yourself a big hug.

8. YankeeFan

Including anyone in the press.

A couple of people in the White House deserve criticism for this.

News reporters & editors all over the country should share in the criticism.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Odd that someone who so clearly hates the press spends so much time here trolling for political arguments.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Which somehow makes the story untrue?

11. PCLoadLetter

And by "look up from their notebooks," you mean "order a full criminal background check on everyone at the photo op"?

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

The spa owner Phil Wendel would not tell the WCAV if Macko was fired because of the conviction, and no claims are being made that she wrongly received unemployment benefits.

Another right-wing reach-around media non-story that nobody outside their weird little world gives a shit about. She's still unemployed, so the "false narrative" red herring is bogus.

And YF, your hypocrisy on the Limbaugh comparison is cute, as usual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.