1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe that Felony Drug Conviction is Part of the Reason You're Unemployed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Remember those three folks who appeared at the Rose Garden press conference with President Obama 10 days ago to push Congress to extend unemployment benefits?

Well, guess what? One of them was found guilty of prescription drug fraud in April, 2009 -- one month before she lost her job.

Bu the press who can dig into "Joe the Plumber" in 24 hours or fight back against the misleading video of Shirley Sherrod didn't independently verify the sob story that the President related in regards to her unemployment.

No, they juts acted as stenographers and printed what they were told to print.

Which doesn't make them much better than Breitbart

Oh, and who called it btw? Who asked the press to verify the story so that they wouldn't look like dupes?

Me.

[quote author=YankeeFan]
    You know, it's funny what happens when regular people step into the spotlight.

"Joe the Plumber" gets famous when Obama walks down the street and he asks Obama a question.

The press jumped on him. Investigated him. His privacy was criminally violated by government employees.

This woman becomes famous when a one minute clip is aired on the web. The NAACP & the Obama administration, in a rush to stay ahead of the news cycle, throw her under the bus.

Now, the media is rushing in to rescue her.

Then, there are the three people who appeared with Obama at the unemployment insurance extension press conference. I've not read any independent reports of their situation.

Obama may have describe it 100% accurately, but I find it interesting that they have not been "investigated" to the same degree as a citizen who asked a simple question.

These three made a conscious decision to appear with him. They entered the fray willingly (unlike "Joe").

So will the press independently verify their stories?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/2855914/
    [/quote]

2. YankeeFan

And, even though this came up at Gibbs' press conference today, it's still not being widely reported:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbs=nws%3A1%2Cqdr%3Ad&q=%22Leslie+Macko%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

FoxNews, the Washington Examiner, and the website of the ABC affiliate in Charlottesville.

Nice of the media to set the story straight now that the know it.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

today's entry in the obama neener neener file

[​IMG]

whats the matter, no horrifying mooslim atrocities to dig up today?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

First post. Starman is on top of his game tonight.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, I'm pretty sure I took a class from her husband in college. And she used to work at my old gym.

6. YankeeFan

I actually had this in my irresponsible media neener neener file.

This press conference was on the same Monday that Breitbart posted the Shirley Sherrod video.

The press was quick to figure out the truth about Shirley and to condemn Breitbart as a hack.

Meanwhile, at that very moment, they were acting as stenographers for the President.

No curiosity about these three people? None?

Maybe a simple public records search?

Why did it take ten days to figure out that maybe her continued unemployment was related to her conviction for prescription drug fraud.

I thought that if your mother told you that she loved you, you were supposed to get it confirmed from a second source.

So, by that same rule, if Obama tells you that Leslie is unemployed, despite her best efforts, all because of the "Bush Recession", shouldn't you check it out?

It's basic. And it wasn't done. And it's hilarious that it happened on the same day Breitbart released his video.

If only the press had checked it out.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Rush Limbaugh was convicted of prescription drug fraud in April, 2006 and never lost his job at all. Huh.

8. YankeeFan

Big difference. He's a revenue producer.

No comment on the press?

I thought the Washington Press corp was a pet peeve of yours. Doesn't this bother you at all?

(Oh, and stay tuned for my Rush Limbaugh post coming up on the Oil Spill thread.)

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

YankeeFan--

Honest answer -- who gives a shit?

You can jump around and yell "OMG!! Liberal media!!" all you want - it was still some chick who stood behind Obama as a prop, and the White House has already said they never would have invited her if they realized her past.

Perhaps no one is reporting it because no one outside of a few right wing cranks cares about some unemployed chick standing behind Obama. But hey, chalk up that point on your political scoreboard, baby!

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Read: I don't care about anything that might make my side look bad, especially when it involves the media. We gotta stick together.

11. YankeeFan

So typical.

Our mistakes don't matter. Why are you paying attention to them.

So we're understaffed and/or too lazy to check out the story. So what?

It doesn't matter.

Like Dan Rather tried to say after he went with false documents, "the story is still basically true, so what if the documentation used to prove it is false?"

If you don't have high standards for your own profession, if you don't respect your own work, why should anyone else?

It was a false narrative. And it ran, unchecked for 10 days, in newspapers all over the country.

If I, a humble espresso guy, could see that it needed to be checked out, why couldn't one editor, somewhere see it?

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Oooh, you got me. I'm secretly pained that the chick behind Obama actually had a record, and this is my defense mechanism.

Insightful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.