1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe seeing your son in the paper isn't your biggest priority right now?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What type of response were you expecting with your first post? Some kind words of support on how tough your job is?

If you have an issue with jokes about trying to bed the mom, isn't it a little tasteless to complain about her on a public message board?

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you are being really judgmental about divorce. It's not as simple as you describe.

That comment has nothing to do with the thread.

(The mom jokes? Well, that's part of the lay of the land here. Comments like yours that damn a huge group of people, are not.)

My opinion, as always

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Indeed.

Because there's a reason 50 percent of marriages end in divorce. It wasn't that way 50 years ago, Billy.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's because there were too damn many Catholics. :)

5. jr/shotglass

I knew it was sumthin'.

6. imjustagirl

I was actually going to come back with a serious post about women no longer putting up with abuse/bad marriages instead of staying in them because of societal pressures, but never mind. :D

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Also, not nearly as many women had careers, and were largely beholden to the husband for support. But undeniably, part of it is it being plain ole destigmatized.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And I love that McDonald's came up with commercials a few years ago to try to get divorced dads to take their kids there during weekend visitation.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Even with the smiley, that's a little much.

I like your second comment better.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

And that is?

(serious question)

11. jr/shotglass

At least some of it, Billy, is that divorce is too easy an option for some. Not all, so don't anyone jump on that -- just some, definitely more than the previous generations.

People get married without as much thought, because the party line is, if you're not fully realized or you reach a bump in the road, you can always go get a divorce and start over.

It's a byproduct of the instant-gratification generation. If it feels good at the moment, screw the future and plunge forward. No need to look down the line.

12. imjustagirl

I agree 100 percent.

Draft saved Draft deleted