1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe seeing your son in the paper isn't your biggest priority right now?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What's the difference between people making silly jokes on here and you moralizing about some relationship you know nothing about?

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

exactly what I'd expect out of you Stitch

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

One of those things is funny?

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

@ Ace...

The main point is to stop looking for other people to make your son feel better and realize that you're the parent and the one most responsible for that...especially at an age when they're still dependent on you.

She acknowledges her action, shares that her son is hurt by it and fires an email to see if I can dull the pain with a fluffy feature.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're right.

I suggest you write her back and tell her that her priorities are mixed up and that she should work on her failed marriage instead of trying to use you to make her kid feel better.

Be sure to cc your editor and publisher in the email.

6. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

Some one writes to complain about someone being dumb and ends up looking dumb in the same thread ... ahhhh message boards.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Happy to be of service.

Who can figure what the hell parents are thinking. The other day we covered a softball game where a local team lost 20-0, and from what the writer told me, it was as gruesome as it sounds. What'll probably be a .500 team having a bad day. Local coach empties his bench in the third (knowing its over in a couple of innings via mercy rule), while other team leaves staring nine in and does your basic RUTS job, which we write about too. So what's on my voice mail today? A call from a fan of the hometown team who thought the article could have been more positive. WTF are we supposed to say, they tried really hard and blocked the PAT?

8. Happy to be of service.

Who can figure what the hell parents are thinking. The other day we covered a softball game where a local team lost 20-0, and from what the writer told me, it was as gruesome as it sounds. What'll probably be a .500 team having a bad day. Local coach empties his bench in the third (knowing its over in a couple of innings via mercy rule), while other team leaves staring nine in and does your basic RUTS job, which we write about too. So what's on my voice mail today? A call from a fan of the hometown team who thought the article could have been more positive. WTF are we supposed to say, they tried really hard and blocked the PAT?
    [/quote]

I love the part about the PAT.

Tell 'em, "You want more positive? Try to hold them to two touchdowns next time."

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You may have to hold out a while before you can use the line I once used -- about a basketball team that had more cheerleaders than points it scored that night.

Today, of course, we would have turned that into an informational graphic.

10. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

So why not do a story on the kid playing his way through a painful divorce? Tell mom the truth ... that's the story.
    Little Nolan is pissing his bed each night, and doing bath salts in the boys room during school. Dad's got a girlfriend who graduated from Nolan's school two years ago. Mom's got a girlfriend, too.
    Nolan keeps a bottle hidden in the baseball team's clubhouse, and tries his best to get a good buzz going before taking the hill.
    Sounds like an intriguing read. Tell mom you'll do the story.

11. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I agree with everything here, and not because I just got back from the bar...

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I love the part about the PAT.

Tell 'em, "You want more positive? Try to hold them to two touchdowns next time."
    [/quote]

Postscript: Forwarded the message along to the reporter, and we both had a good laugh. He covered the same team on Friday vs. their crosstown rival. When he got back he told me the mentioned the complaint to the coach, who replied, "A complaint? The best part of that game was when it ended."

Draft saved Draft deleted