1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe McClatchy laid off one too many copy editors in Raleigh?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

probably the only hockey venue to ever have fog delays

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Nope.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Sunday's N&O gem: Forgot to change "NAME OF RACE" to the ... name of the race. And it says Sunday's results for a Saturday race.

[​IMG]

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

as to the results, did it end early Sunday morning? not that that makes it right; it was still a Saturday race. just wondering.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Regarding editing ...
    I have spoken with sports writers at several newspapers who have told me they are encouraged to post breaking news type stories online on their beats.

My question to you is ...do sports writers at your papers have the ability to post anything they want online at any time without editors seeing it?

Think of the consequences. A disgruntled employee could conceivably print ANYTHING at a push of a button.
    Obviously the person would be fired upon printing libelous material or outrageous material, but at that point, the damage would have been done to the company.
    What if the sportswriter knew he/she was going to get laid off and simply lost it emotionally and just printed some crazy material on the Web? That company would be responsible for the story printed. What if it was serious, like "Boston College coach Johnson fired after getting arrested for DUI"

That could never actually get into a print edition, but Web?? From my discussions with several sports writers, it could EASILY happen. They have the right and ability to post stories online through their laptops.

It seems to me companies are not thinking this through. In their desire to be first on stories, giving reporters carte blanche to post stories on the web, to me, seems to be awfully dangerous.

Same with twitter ... employees are told to tweet things. Again, they could tweet some crazy things and I've seen reporters quoted off their own tweets by various bloggers, some bloggers former newspaper reporters and editors themselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted