1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe Juan Williams Has a Right To Be Concerned

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/us/31plane.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

WASHINGTON — Two packages containing explosives, shipped from Yemen and addressed to synagogues in Chicago, were intercepted in Britain and Dubai, setting off a broad terrorism scare on Friday that included the scrambling of fighter jets to accompany a passenger flight as it landed safely in New York.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Boom, those were packages. They weren't dressed like Muslims. They were dressed like UPS.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well it is Halloween.

4. Boom_70

Michael - I was not suggesting that any one religious groups was involved. Why even introduce the "M" word into the mix. The Times doesn't .

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, if it was shipped from Yemen, I'm sure it was sent by those pesky Mormons.

6. Boom_70

I was thinking more along the lines of those pesky Mongolians.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Do we know how they were dressed when they shipped the packages?

8. YankeeFan

Oh, and btw, I actually doubt that any Synagogue in Chicago would open an unexpected package with a Yemeni return address/postmark.

9. Boom_70

I doubt I would open a package from Yemen.

10. YankeeFan

I'm watching MSNBC now. They're discussing how they planned to detonate the bombs. It doesn't look like they were booby traps like the Unibombers devices.

They are saying that it was either a timer or a cell phone that would have detonated them.

So, by tracking them on FedEx or UPS's websites, you may have been able to kill people even if they did not open them.

You could also figure out which packages shipped on cargo planes & which ones shipped on passenger flights. (If it goes to Memphis or Louisville, it's not a passenger plane.)

With this info, you could set a timer to bring down a passenger plane on a future attempt.

11. Boom_70

What can brown do to you?

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted