1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe I'm too glib...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

2-0 without him.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Except for one thing, it doesn't say what the news is.

Like Babs said a couple posts ago, Hanlon isn't a big enough name (aside from Washington and maybe Detroit, where he played).

Sometimes people try to get too cute with headlines and lose the effectiveness of that cutesy head.

There are times where a fairly straight forward head works best. And considering that this story isn't much more than a lead roundup item or short separate in most papers, this is probably one of those cases.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Bruce Boudreau, Coach of the Year!

4. musicman

musicman Member

that's solid.

also like: han me down

5. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

hockeybeat...headline writing is a pseudo science. you don't know the history of headline writing. I do!
    hockeybeat, hockeybeat, hockeybeat, hockeybeat, hockeybeat, hockeybeat, you don't even...YOU'RE GLIB!!! you don't even know what 48-point type is!

6. I can't believe it took that long to get to this obvious, though witty, punchline.

BTW, I bet Hanlon wouldn't have been canned had it been Boxing Day. Or Avril Lavigne's birthday.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I dunno: "Caps drop hammer on Hanlon"?

"Caps Can Hanlon"?

When in doubt, say what happened. That's my take with headlines. "Caps fire Hanlon" says what needs to be said.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Hey, to take the thread off on a tangent ... didja ever notice that ex-NHL goalies don't make great coaches? Wonder why?

Draft saved Draft deleted