1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe a "Holy Day" means something different to muslims

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jan 30, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

On Shiites' holiest day, 44 dead in Iraq

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Assailants struck Shiite worshippers in three Iraqi cities Tuesday, killing at least 39 people in bombings and ambushes during the climax of ceremonies marking Ashoura, the holiest day in the Shiite calendar. In apparent retaliation, mortar shells slammed into predominantly Sunni neighborhoods in Baghdad hours later, killing at least five people and wounding 20, officials said.

Tens of thousands of Shiites Muslims converged on the holy city of Karbala — where the 7th-century battle took place that cemented the schism between Sunnis and Shiites — beating their chest and heads to mark the death of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson. The entire city was sealed off, all vehicles were banned, and pilgrims were searched at numerous checkpoints, a day after the Iraqi army said it had foiled a plot by a messianic Shiite group to storm the nearby city of Najaf.

seem these islam worshippers have a freaking holy day, every allah-damn day. and every city with more than 3 allah lovers is a holy city. Is there like a AP top 25 poll of Mulsim Holy Cities or Saudi Arabia Today Top 25?

In America, DC, Philly, Boston, & NY would be the top 4 holy cities

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Didn't Washington cross the Delaware on Christmas and surprise the poor drunken Huns? How is that different?

Why do you hate the Father of America?

3. heyabbott

That makes Trenton a Holy City? The father of our country was a slave lover.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What about the St. Valentine's Day Massacre?

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

If only they were as peace loving and free from violence as Americans.

6. heyabbott

From your keyboard to Allah's monitor

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Don't you all know that you can't be a proper bigot, unless you take a negative event, comment about the dominant religion in the place the negative event occurred, and then imply that the religion sanctioned or is responsible for the negative? Get with it people. You all need to get your broad brushes out and start painting like mad, if you want to catch up.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I've wondered about that, too, reading AP stories. Seems like a minority of cities there aren't holy.

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

The proper response would have been, "Shut up or I'll blow your fucking head off!"

10. printdust

printdust New Member

The Radical Islam vs. Radical Christian debate ends here, people. Not another word.

Unless you believe the press hides up Radical Christians blowing up churches a couple of times a week.

11. heyabbott

LONDON (Reuters) - Jermaine Jackson said on Monday he wants his brother Michael to convert to Islam; and he believes the reclusive superstar has given it serious thought.

Hammer meet nail

Jermaine Jackson said his faith helped keep him sane in the enclosed confines of the British reality TV program where the contestants are kept cooped up under 24-hour surveillance.

"If I didn't have Allah and my prayer rug, I would not have survived and the reason why is because it kept me focused, it kept me calm," he said.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Apparently, hosting a war gets you holy status. And since there has been war there pretty consistently since, oh, GILGAMESH, they're running out of room.

Draft saved Draft deleted