1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

May 21: What will you be doing?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, May 16, 2011.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Up late, so started playing around with a "Night Before Christmas" take:

Feel free to continue the saga. I'm going to bed...

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, still here. Not sure whether to clap or to cry about that.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Our guest minister at church today said: "If the Rapture happened, it was much more subtle than expected". :D

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I used to get absolutely terrified of end-of-the-world stuff when I was little. To the point that I remember crying in church, and walking around in a daze for days after I'd read the kind of WWN headlines you're referring to.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Now the idiot says it will be Oct. 21.

In the meantime, were I a lawyer, I might try to sign on a few clients who forked over their life savings to following this mutt, and start cranking up the lawsuits, based on the following in an AP story:

"In 2009, the nonprofit Family Radio reported in IRS filings that it received $18.3 million in donations, and had assets of more than $104 million, including $34 million in stocks or other publicly traded securities."

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I was in the pressbox at a MLB game, sitting between the grumpy Associated Press codger and the grumpy columnist for the major metro daily, listening to them go back and forth about how most people are idiots and cracking jokes about how dumb they are for believing this crap. Then, when the stadium clock hit 6:01 the crowd, between innings, erupted into a loud, spontaneous cheer. Was pretty funny and I thought these two were going to have heart attacks.

Earlier in the day, at a flea market, I bought three pretty nice pairs of sunglasses for $5.00 because the guy was having an "End of the World Sale." It was a pretty nice pickup.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Here's what I want to know.

The guy was wrong in 1994. He was wrong about May 21. Now he claims the date is Oct. 21. When that date comes and goes, he will undoubtedly come up with another date.

At what point do we (meaning the media - personally I go by the Bible verse saying no one but the Father himself knows the time) ignore him?

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Now the drooling tool Camping has moved all his chips to October 21.

There are tens of thousands born, every minute . . .

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, I was blissfully unaware of the date as it came and passed. So at least a small sliver of the media is ignoring him already.

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

When TV viewers/news website readers stop watching/clicking on links to stories on wackjob end-of-days prophecies.

The more viewers/pageviews you have, the more you can charge for advertising. The more you make from advertising, the more profits you have to present to your shareholders. And if you're like many major media outlets these days, you're owned by a large corporation with diverse holdings whose shareholders only care about how much profit your business unit is producing - because that is the one thing it has in common with the other holdings.

When we stop watching/reading stories on this guy, the news media will stop devoting resources to producing stories on him, because then it will no longer provide a sufficient return on investment.

Draft saved Draft deleted