1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

May 21: What will you be doing?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, May 16, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've always wondered what these fools think when they're wrong. Do they bow down and ask God's forgiveness for being so presumptuous?

2. ralph russo

ralph russo Member

Was wondering what the hell this was about.

There was a car painted with all kinds of end of the world, May 21, signage rolling around my neighborhood Sunday, playing odd sounding music from a loud speaker on top. Also, saw a couple with black T-shirts touting the same thing walking down my block.

Religious zealots are relatively rare for my neighborhood, Park Slope, Brooklyn, so they really stood out. Oh, we have zealots _ mostly involving baby strollers. Just not religious ones.

My 4-year-old daughter asked me why that car was playing it's music so loud. I said some people like to draw attention to themselves.
    Figured that was better than, 'because the world is filled with freaks and lunatics and their ranks are growing exponentially every day.'

Then I went home and watched the 60 Minutes piece on Sovereign Citizens, which further affirmed my previous opinion.

God help us all!

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes, and he learned defense from Pol Pot in Cambodia.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

You haven't seen the ads on the subway? Also, last week I saw one of their buses drive by with something about May 21 and the end of the world on it and couldn't help from laughing.

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I will celebrate not having to pay off student loans.

6. ralph russo

ralph russo Member

You know, now that you mention it, I have seen a subway ad. I think mistook it for an add for some bad sci-fi book.

I would have demanded cash payments from these crackpots when they were paying for the cars, ad space, shirts and whatnot.
    "Hey buddy if you think the world is coming to an end next week, ain't no way I'm accepting your check."

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I must be really sheltered living in the wilds of the North Woods, this is the first I've heard of this.

As far as May 21, I've got flower gardens to plant and serious cleaning for an upcoming open house. That's simply not a good day for the world to end for me.

Maybe they could consult the Mayan calendar which allegedly sets the world's end date in December 2012?

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

May 21? I'll be working, same as today and yesterday and the day before that.

The fact it happens to be my last day at my current job is pure coincidence. I will taking an extended nap on May 22.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'll be working in the newsroom asking: "If the end of the world comes today won't that have to be A1 display for tomorrow? Hey, wait a minute ..."

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And a lot less funny and interesting.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

End of the World Arrives; Women and Minorities Hardest Hit.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My parents will be in from out of state and my son just got a birthday invitation for that day. I for one would welcome our world-ending overlords.

Draft saved Draft deleted