1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MaxPreps.com: Another possible revenue stream squandered by newspapers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daemon, Jan 2, 2007.

1. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Don't know how many of you are familiar with the web site MaxPreps.com, but it looks like it is quickly becoming the go-to site for high school results and statistics.

Coaches report each game result through max preps, which uses its computer software to compile statistics. The general public can view a high school team's entire stats, results, roster, etc. It is easy to navigate, and extremely helpful for keeping tabs on high school players.

For years I've been saying newspapers should be using their web sites for stuff like this, not just regurgitaiton (sp?) of the printed product. Problem is, it would have required actually investing money into the proper places, which we're not so good at.

If newspapers had a MaxPreps.com type set up for statistics and results, the paper's web site would be the go-to place for such information. Plus, reporters could worry about reporting and not chasing down statistics from coaches. Now, MaxPreps.com is the go-to site.

Why can't newspapers get on top of such things??

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Neither my current state nor the one I moved here from are well-represented, and I live in a state undergoing a lot of population growth. Not very go-to for such things, from what I can see.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Problem No. 2: It is the slowest Web site to load I have ever encountered.

Problem No. 3: maxpreps.com is depending on the same people who we spend hours bitching about ... high school coaches. There are quite a few of them who could care less whether they get their rosters up on the site once, let alone updating their stats after every game.

Believe me ... I wish them the best of luck. I think it would be fantastic to have a national database where you could go for out-of-your-area rosters, stats, standings, etc. But they have a long, long way to go.

Once they get closer to full cooperation, like this Web site for a single district in Pennsylvania, then you have something.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

yup..not nearly represented to the level of what it might claim. i think we have two schools in the area that are on it.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I wish MaxPreps were better, but I gave up on using it after I found that a few incorrect scores had been posted for a team that I was covering. Don't think it was sabotage, either...pretty sure it was the ftard coach who gave me incorrect information on a regular basis.

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Point is, these things take time. Last year, MaxPreps was a joke. I was a MaxPreps hater too. But all of a sudden the majority of schools in my paper's coverage area are on it. A lot of times, when our writers ask coaches for statistics, they tell them: go to MaxPreps and get them.

Is it perfect? No.

But I fail to understand why any newspaper with a grasp on how it needs to deliver information in these current times wouldn't be pouring energy and resources into developing an easy-to-use, easy-to-navigate interface for statistics and schedules and rosters, and why newspapers across the country wouldn't be attempting to synchronize their efforts in the hopes of developing the revenue stream that MaxPreps.com is starting to develop.

Write it off all you want, but MaxPreps.com is a sleeping giant.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've got a problem, too, with the idea of computer software compiling statistics. A computer is only as intuitive as the person inputting the stats.

Here's an example. In our high school basketball boxes, we don't list non-scorers. So, if software is to compile season stats off a boxscore template, how is it supposed to determine if a non-scorer played or didn't? As a result, you can't be sure about the number of games played.

8. I've tried to use MaxPreps before and have the same complaints as everyone else. It is a long way from getting 100% percent compliance, and in my area it's about 50% for rosters and much less for stats. Hardly the go-to source for high school football. Also, it is INCREDIBLY, RIDICULOUSLY SLOW. I take bathroom and lunch breaks while I wait for its pages to load.

9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Shot - you know as well as anyone else that high school statistics, by nature, are inaccurate. Doesn't matter how they are compiled. My point is, people want to go to a web site where they can see numbers. As of yet, there is no such site for high school statistics. MaxPreps.com is trying to become it. I think, on a local level, every newspaper that covers prep sports would drive an incredible amount of traffic -- and not just traffic, but highly targeted traffic that could sell ads -- to its site by having a comprehensive stats database.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It would be a draw, daemon. No doubt about it. I think it would be great.

But the sticking point remains -- the coaches. The same ones you have to chase down now to give you a boxscore in 3 minutes over the phone? Now, you're going to have to chase them down to input stats into a database. The slackers' impact on this will be multiplied.

11. daemon, are you the founder/creator of MaxPreps.com? If so, I suggest you move to a better server.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Bob, he's right. If it can ever be done right, it's going to be fantastic. I wish it had started 20 years ago so these kinks were worked out by now.

Draft saved Draft deleted