1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maureen Dowd: "Barry"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yes, but we must not ridicule The Messiah.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Can the grown-ups talk, please?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

There is nothing that will get me to discount your political opinion quicker than name-calling or cutesy nicknames. I see a "Barry," "Willard," "libs," "repubes," whatever, I'm done.

I will say this -- in most cases "W" didn't really annoy me, because I always took it as a shorthand way to differentiate Bush from his father.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He was called "Shrub" by Molly Ivins and others.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yep - hated that.

6. Dick Whitman

To me, "W." is akin to "JFK" or "LBJ."

"Tricky Dick" and "Slick Willie" also seem to have been so widely used and accepted that a columnist with a particularly deft touch might be able to get away with it.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If all of that is the case, why should there be an issue with Barry?

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What about Bubba?

9. Dick Whitman

Because "Barry" is not in wide usage, first of all. Second of all, "Tricky Dick" and "Slick Willie" were nicknames that carried implications about their personalities and governing styles.

Look, I get that you don't like the guy. That's fine. But it's low-rent for Dowd to diminish him with cutesy nicknames like that - essentially saying that his given name is some sort of affectation that he hasn't earned the right to utilize.

10. Dick Whitman

Yeah, depends on the context.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe everyone should start using "BHO" for Obama and start referring to
    Eric Holder as "Fredo".

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's BS for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is he used to go by Barry, no? Would you feel better if she referred to him as "Emperor Barack?"

And again, columnists have been "diminishing" presidents by using "cutesy nicknames" since the dawn of time. I'm pretty sure some used to demeaningly refer to Nixon as "Milhouse" even before Watergate. I can't remember any specifically for Carter, but if you went back and checked I'd be pretty damned shocked if every writer always referred to him as "President Carter" or even "Jimmy." Hell, they probably had one for George Washington.

Draft saved Draft deleted