1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maui News stops the madness: no more reader comments online

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 25, 2008.

1. we have one at our paper that is probably 100 words strong, and it doesn't stop the libelous crap from getting through.

editors are spending much of their nights worrying about "site abuse" e-mails, when they should be slotting pages. gimme a break.

i believe maui is an ogden paper. traditionally, they're a more conservative company. i'd say this fits in with that philosophy.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

He is, and Maui is still an Ogden joint.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Interactivity is great, but when it brings out the absolute worst in people and turns them into mean-spirited, horrible racist assholes, how is that progressing anything?

I think giving people the chance to show their ugly side isn't that great of a concept.

4. jps

jps Active Member

I've said it time and time again ... sometimes something valuable comes from comments, either for the community or the writer (in the form of a story tip, etc.) but 98 percent of the time, the comments do absolutely nothing and have no value whatsoever. so why have them on there?

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Good. At my joint, the comments are generally the most mean-spirited, nasty things you could ever think of, and most stories which deal with local news or politics turn into pissing matches between Democrats and Republicans, with the same tired arguments trotted out again and again.
    It's really rather depressing, and I wish we'd do away with them, but knowing my online department, it's looked at positively.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

And their Web traffic will drop like a rock ... followed by their Web ad revenue, although, it may not have as far to tumble.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Papers that are smart will keep comments and manage them better. And more reader contributions are coming, trust me.

To be completely redundant, this is a backward step.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Reader comments were better when they were called "letters to the editor."

You want to comment, buddy? Great! What's your real name and phone number?

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ding ding ding.

There is nothing to be gained from reader comments. If you don't regulate them, they run out of control. If you do, you can get in trouble for what you let through or don't let through. If you care enough to comment, make it an actual real thought and put your name and number on it. It would cut down on the idiocy immensely.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I vote for "let them run out of control," and I'm completely serious.

Part of doing business in a free country in this day and age.

I personally think concern over the tone and content of comments is overblown, but I'm well aware I'm in the minority in this group.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Why would anyone in Maui need to post something mean about anything?

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

BECAUSE MILK IS $6 A GALLON!!!

[/completelyoverblownlie]

Draft saved Draft deleted