1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maui Baby!!! Sports Opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Aug 5, 2006.

1. ogre

ogre Member

Maui is beyond beautiful. Expensive? Sure. If you happen to already have money (real money), this is a good job. I can't see enjoying any of the islands as far as being a sportswriter. Desk? Sure. Whatever. But writing? What is there to do other than a few already mentioned things a couple weeks a year? Then again, if you surf. There is nothing better. Until the locals beat the shit out of you for jumping the lineup.

2. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

The problem isn't so much getting to Hawaii, it's getting off if you want to have a career after that. Not only are newspaper incredibly reluctant to pay to ship all your stuff to the mainland, but even to fly you in for an interview.

3. griff711419

griff711419 New Member

Here's the real inside track on this gig. The new sports editor (Brad Sherman) is probably one of the hardest workers you will ever meet in this business. If you want to work for someone who will jump right into the trenches with you, this is your guy.

This paper is part of union, which is why the pay and benefits are incredible for people who stick around, plus that means this paper ACTUALLY PAYS OVERTIME. The cost of living is not cheap, but you'll figure out really quickly that you can buy a gallon of milk at Wal-mart for $4 (not $7 unless you're a sucker tourist).

4. Biancalana

Biancalana New Member

This really is a phenomenal job -- and I would know, having just left the paper about six months ago for a similar job in Colorado Springs.

The place pays well (getting there is the only issue) and you will never live in a more stunning location. Ever. Brad was a tremendous coworker and will be a fantastic sports editor. The union has the typical union drawbacks (dead weight tough to drop), but it helps with loads of vacation and no health insurance costs taken out of your paycheck.

The costs of Maui won't bury you if you don't let them. It's not like I was living on ramen noodles the whole time I was there, just the first month or two. Unless you come from some serious money, you won't be able to buy property, but if you're in your early 20s, does that really matter? Just look at it as a way to fine-tune your craft, see women in bikinis year-round and have a life experience that will make you sound cool to your kids someday.

Send me a message if you are thinking of applying but have questions or apprehensions, I'd be happy to help.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

Three hours?! Guys in the Bronx in the 70s could strip three cars in three hours. Those Maui guys are amateurs. :)

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Great post.

7. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Unavailable for comment.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This is an Ogden paper.

I shit you not. The Nuttings own a paper in Hawaii.

Since it's union, pay is a little better than at some of their other outposts.

9. zman82

zman82 Member

anybody know what happened to the former SE?

10. Biancalana

Biancalana New Member

Her husband took a job in St. Louis (they were both Midwesterners). She had taken a few years off before taking the job in Maui and will likely leave the business again.

11. joe

joe Active Member

OK, from someone who turned down this job six months ago -- for personal reasons, not because of the job -- let me say that the pay is going to be incredible. But the cost of living is a bitch. And unless they have changed since the job was offered to me by the former sports editor, the do not pay for relocation. Which means either paying to haul your stuff yourself or selling it all and buying stuff on the island. Without the personal bullshit going on, I would have taken it. Hell, who doesn't want to live in paradise at least once?

12. zman82

zman82 Member

to be single in paradise. hell, i'd probably consider living in a tent ... if i coulf afford it.

Draft saved Draft deleted