1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mauer remains a Twin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Mar 21, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He also outslugged Jeter by nearly 100 points in 2010, when Jeter had 153 more at-bats but Mauer had 10 more extra-base hits than Manky's hero.

The "singles hitter" also had a higher slugging percentage than Jeter in 2008 (.452 to .408) and 2006 (.507 to .483).

I guess Jeter is a glorified singles hitter, too.

2. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

That's misleading. Jeter has outhomered Mauer every year except 2009.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Apparently, Mauer was booed by the hometown crowd tonight.

4. outofplace

Wrong again, Manky. Slugging percentage is a far better barometer of which guy is just a singles hitter than home runs. Mauer gets more extra-base hits. In case you lost sight of this in your worship of Mr. Jetes, a double is not the same thing as a single.

5. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I was looking at more how they will perform going forward. Jeter has been a better power hitter this year than Mauer, who is 10 years younger and already peaked.

I saw the post about Mauer getting booed in his home ballpark, I kinda feel sorry for him now. He's not a great competitor like Jeter but a more fragile individual like ARod. I do hope he turns it around next year.

6. outofplace

How do you know what kind of competitor is? Oh, that's right. You don't.

Yes, Mauer has peaked. He will never surpass 2009. He was also better in 2009 than any single season your hero Jeter ever had in his career.

Going forward? Any sane baseball observer will take Mauer and not even think twice even with the injuries that ruined his 2011 season.

Draft saved Draft deleted