1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mauer remains a Twin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

One of the times I am so pleased to say "I told you so!"

Joe Mauer Agrees To 8-Year Contract With Twins

He's a St. Paul kid, grew up close to where I grew up - I knew he wouldn't leave. :D

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't have given him the no-trade clause - it could kill the franchise if he goes down the tubes for some reason (maybe he gets injured in a homeplate collision and is never the same, god forbid) early in the contract. Catchers are often durable guys, but when they go down, they go down hard and fast (see Varitek, Jason).

Other than that, good for the Twinkies, they have the face of their franchise for the next decade. Glad to see they invested some money from the new park into the product that will be on the diamond inside of it.

3. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I had strong doubts that he would leave, but I'm still glad that he's going to be a Twin for the foreseeable future. I think it would have been bad for baseball if he left for a big-market team. Go Twinkies!

4. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Glad to hear this. Nice to see right before the summer of LeBron.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was one of those who thought the Rangers should've traded Pudge in 2001 before he hit his 10-5 date because he was getting to the point where most catchers begin to break down. Nine years later, he has a World Series ring and is still knocking around the big leagues. You never can tell.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Mauer is worth the money, but the sheer hugeness of that number -- $184 million -- still jumps out at me.

Yay small-market spending!

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Good for the Twinks.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good for Mauer, the Twins and baseball.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Fourth-largest deal in baseball history.

This puts them on an elite level with the Red Sox and Yankees as far as spending this much on a franchise player (which is certainly not a bad thing).

Paradoxically, I think the problems in the overall economy were a positive factor in getting this done.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Carl Pohlad is spinning in his grave ... which is a good thing. Good to see the Twins keep one.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Y'all need to give Garrett Jones that much.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So now who plays catcher for the Yankees the next eight years?

Draft saved Draft deleted