1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maualaga 'apologizes' to Erin Andrews

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bob Knight treated his employees like crap. Just saying.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You address points I've been curious about, Flash. The past couple of days, I read many comments from fans about how Maualaga owes her nothing because "Erin Andrews uses her looks and sexuality to get ahead in her profession."

Putting aside the occasional poor choice of wardrobe, which may or may not be debatable, I'm curious how women feel about the part in quotes. Is a good-looking woman supposed to leave her looks at home? Can she leave "hot" in her house and go to work without it? Is that possible for her? Because she's hot, she's inviting such things? A less attractive reporter would be safe because she's not "using her looks" to get a job? Someone's looks define what is acceptable for others to do to them?

I realize this thread may not be around long enough for the ladies to answer, but the comments I read from fans seem almost like parody. I can't imagine people really think it's somehow her fault.

And yet, you yourself said maybe ESPN needs to look at how they present her.

So, what do you think about this angle that "She uses her looks to get ahead, so this is part of the bargain" for Andrews?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sally could have been an outside contractor

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'm curious. What crime?

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It isn't about looks, it is about how certain people carry themselves. Please stop trying to change the goal posts here. Certain people use their sex appeal and their sexuality as a means to get ahead and based on observations, both personal and anecdotal, the reporter in question would fit that description.

You can be a very good looking person and not walk around like a star-struck starlet, which many female reporters do every single day.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Ok, then, let's approach it from that angle--say Bill is the UPS delivery guy, and he comes up to Sally and does that. That's ok? There's no repercussions? (My guess is at the very least one call gets placed -- to Bill's superiors at UPS that will likely have some impact on his employ -- and possibly one more call to the local authorities.

I'm finding it a bit hard to believe that people are shrugging off someone basically simulating a sexual act on another, unknowing participant.

7. Johnny Dangerously

I'm not changing the goal posts, zag. These are points of view I'm hearing from countless fans since the last time we discussed this. It's a valid question, despite what you might think.

8. zagoshe

Having a little bit of harmless fun and laughing a little bit?

9. zagoshe

Yes, you are missing the point. It is NOT about looks. It is about how you carry yourself.

They are completely different.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

No. I really wanna know what crime Capt. Kirk thinks might have occurred.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Then tell that to the hundreds of fans who are asking the questions I posted. You've already told me.

Thanks. Bye.

12. zagoshe

Again, quit trying to compare apples to oranges. Rey Maualaga, particularly since he is headed for the NFL, is employed by NOBODY and the football field and locker rooms are not similar to traditional workplaces by any stretch.

Would you allow your boss to grab you by your shirt and scream at you and call you an idiot for making a mistake without filing charges? No, I don't think you would but it goes on with coaches and players every week in just about every stadium in America.

So stop trying to bring standards that don't apply to this situation.

Secondly, and I repeat, thanks to Bill Clinton, you can do whatever the hell you want to a member of the opposite sex and it doesn't become sexual harassment until you do it after they tell you to stop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.