1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maualaga 'apologizes' to Erin Andrews

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

If Kolber can forgive Namath, shouldn't Andrews forgive Maualaga?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Simon:

I would guess that Rey Maualuga and his teammates know only that they find Erin Andrews attractive, and that it would be "cool" among said group to approach said hot chick in this manner.

If Erin Andrews is aware that her actions in the Cubs' clubhouse were seen as "playful," and if she chooses to think about this particular incident for more than a second, then she can choose how to proceed. Does she do nothing? Does she seek to become a poster child for female journalists who are treated unfairly by our chauvinistic society? Or do she and her bosses start to think that she should change certain things about her style?

I'm sure there will be (eventually locked) threads discussing the next step.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well now the world is a better place because the school issued a press release statement apology that says absolutely nothing and ESPN issued a press release statement which said they accepted it.

Jimmy Crickets, I don't know what is worse the people who feel the need to issue disingenious apologies just to appease the politically correct whiners among us or the whiners who think they've accomplished something by getting a meaningless apology......

4. zagoshe

A woman reporter, a professional, never, ever, ever, uses her sexuality or the fact that she is a woman and thus can be a little bit flirty or friendly to their advantage -- never. I would never ever want to hear of it because it doesn't ever happen........

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Yep, this definitely warranted an apology.

And not so sure this couldn't be considered criminal. Do that to someone on the street, and you could be facing harrassment charges.

Do it in your workplace (which essentially this is for both Andrews and Maualaga) and you can damn well bet you'll find yourself unemployed.

6. zagoshe

Except for the fact that Maualaga and Andrews do not work with each other and Maualaga does not work for Andrews or vice versa......

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Good point, Piotr. I don't believe that just because she is pretty or dresses a certain way she is inviting behaviour similar to Maualaga's.

Nor should anyone -- male or female -- be led to expect that behaviour.

However, given the atmosphere of the 'old boys club' in sports, ESPN may need to take a better look at how Andrews is presented.

That's difficult to say because how we dress or look should never affect our ability to do our jobs.

And before anyone wants to accuse me of being 'disingenuous,' know this: my behaviour in my professional world is remarkably different than online.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yeah but has Tom Petty aploigized yet?

I wonder what would have happened had this been a USC cheerleader instead of Andrews?

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The workplace argument is interesting.

As journalists, our job is to enter someone else's workplace and do our job there. Which I guess makes it our workplace too.

I don't get why everyone is making that comparison anyway. We have long known that the rules for sports venues and participants are different than the rules of society. "If Bobby Knight treated employees the way he treats his players, he'd be FIRED!!!"

Doesn't make it right. But that's the way it is. No sense in getting all worked up over the "workplace" argument, especially when it can be said that our profession has contributed greatly to the skewed view of athletes and what they are allowed to get away with.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Sexual harrassment doesn't require an employee/manager relationship. And, yes, they do work together. Just like if Bill from accounting on the sixth floor comes down to Sally in shipping in the basement and starts dry humping her.

11. zagoshe

Except Rey Maualaga was NOT WORKING and as Michael Douglas once so eloquently told us "Sexual harassment is not about sex, it is about power and WHEN did Rey Maualaga have the power...."

And further, thanks to the hero of many of the people on these boards, Slick Willy, the rules about what is sexual harassment are far more liberal than ever before -- in fact, it doesn't become sexual harassment until someone says stop and even then, it isn't until you do it again........

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No they don't work together. Bill and Sally are employees of the same company. How are Andrews and Maualaga co-workers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.