1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mattresses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's time for a new mattress. I got the last one on the cheap, about $600, and it lasted a couple of years longer than I expected. So I'm shopping for a new one and someone sends me an Amazon link to one of those memory foam mattresses - $250 for a queen? NO WAY. Yet people rave about them. Anyone have any experience with them? Every time I'm ready to pull the trigger, I think NO WAY.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Wenders likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It depends. If you have back issues as many do, and many more will as they age, they are absolutely worth the money.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I thought an SJ Mob war was breaking out.

Moddy, GF bought an expensive sleep number bed.

I've got two problems with it. She went with the cheaper version, so the back does NOT rise up like a hospital bed. Second, it has dual controls, and she set her side and I set mine, and then she promptly adjusted mine to her comfort level claiming there is no way I could find my number comfortable.

This led to a bit of an argument triggered by a certain someone's comment of "What part of 'dual controls' do you not understand?" coupled with the realization that the premise of dual controls could have more than one interpretation.

Now, someone please invent a gf control knob.

5. jr/shotglass

Having to prevent air leaks with my CPAP mask, I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't raise the head of my mattress. In fact, I usually sleep like a "V" now: Head up, feet up, arms propped up on a heavy pillow on each side. I'm sure I look strange(r than usual).

Vombatus likes this.
  6. John

John Well-Known Member

Was about to post this same story. One of many, many economies out there that I knew nothing about.

I was thinking it might be time for a new mattress earlier this year and instead I bought a nice (I guess) mattress pad to go on top, for maybe $125. It's been great, like getting a whole new mattress. Now, how long that lasts, no idea. You just need to make sure your fitted sheet will fit over the whole thing.

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I bought a semi-expensive foam mattress after trying a bunch of foam and box spring mattresses at a local store. I got sucked in by the whole “and you don’t have to flip it” pitch, not that I know anyone who has actually flipped their box sprint mattress (I used to hope that every time I moved my mattress would be inadvertently flipped). I like my mattress. I probably would be just as happy with an inexpensive box spring mattress with a good topper pad.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about them, but I know at least three people who have recently bought and raved about Purple mattresses.

9. Iron_chet and jr/shotglass like this.
  10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If there’s a Bob’s Discount Furniture near you, I highly recommend the Bob-O-Pedic memory foam mattress. They run about $400 (before delivery) for a queen-size. They also come with the cooling gel, which is a must-have for me.

11. jr/shotglass

Now, if you had said that in a blog, you'd be a richer man today. ;)

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What's the deal with MattressFirm? They are on every freaking corner of every freaking street.

A few months ago there was some new development in my area. MattressFirm went up on one side of the street, Sleepy's on the other side. A couple of weeks after Sleepy's Grand Opening it changed . . . into a MattressFirm. Two of them not one-fifth of a mile from one another.

Draft saved Draft deleted