1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt Taibbi Takes on Tom Friedman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

http://www.nypress.com/article-11215-the-52-funniest-things-about-the-upcoming-death-of-the-pope.html

Offered without comment...

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don't like the guy's politics but he does make me laugh - seems like he does not give a shit and just let's it fly.

Funny that he has turned on one of his own now in Friedman.

What a fraud Friedman is - telling us all to go green and he has a carbon footprint the size of Rhode Island.

His wife is aire to the founder of General Growth Properties - one of largest mall operators in the world - creating urban blight since 1954.

3. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Friedman writes about his house in his book (I just finished reading it and thought I liked it until reading this beatdown).

He writes that he and his wife bought "one of the last large pieces of property in our Maryland neighborhood to prevent it from being redeveloped ino a subdivision of a dozen or more homes." So he didn't hide the fact he lives on a hefty lot.

He continues: "We built on it ourselves, erecting a large house on one end and turning the rest into a parklike green space...a refuge for deer, rabbits, birds...We won't be done untnil we are energy net zero."

After making my way through the 438-page book, I tend to believe him.

4. Boom_70

Tom beats down Hummer owners but lives in an 11,000 sq ft house. Now that is choice.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Who does he think he is, Al Gore?

6. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Well now that we've got that out of the way. . .

7. brettwatson

Would he be more credible if he lived in a typical journalist's abode?

I didn't know he married money but I figured working for the Times and writing a book every couple years he probably did all right on his own. Glad to see him living well and trying to educate the masses.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Not to go all Almost Famous here, but how much do we think Friedman makes from the NYT? $300,000? More?

I have to think it's at least that much.

9. brettwatson

And figure six figures at least on each book. He's no pauper.

10. Double Down

I'm guessing that Friedman has graduated into the seven figure book advance zone by this point, especially after World Is Flat sold so many books, but that's not what I'm curious about. I'm wondering how much he and someone like Dowd get from the NYT.

11. Boom_70

More like lecturing the masses - Do as I say , not as I do.

12. Double Down

Boom love him some hypocrisy.

Draft saved Draft deleted