1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt Ryan: 6 years, $72 million

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 20, 2008.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

He and Long have the same agent too.

I'm sure Long is having a very intense discussion with Condon right about now.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I liked him better when he was known as David Carr.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Kevin Mawae, NFLPA president, isn't really thrilled with the contract:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3406508

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well done

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Long's still the highest-paid lineman in NFL history. I doubt he has problems with a highly-touted QB getting a bit more money.

This contract is a huge gamble though. If Ryan is a bust (and he's by no means a sure thing) the Falcons are in serious trouble. Simply being mediocre is not going to get it done...he has to be a perennial Pro Bowler for this to pay off.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

the sad reality for jake long is that qb's taken that high always get more bucks. jake did fine for a non-qb in the first spot. oh, and condon had blank/dimitroff by the gonads after michael vick. they were set up to be easy pickin's.

hopefully, this will help lead to a legit rookie cap. the one now is a joke. vet players oughta make that a top priority for upshaw or whoever is leading the union on the upcoming cba talks.

the rookie inflation rate is ridiculous. in '04, eli manning got about 20 million guaranteed. now this kid gets almost 35 mil guaranteed? un-effin'-real.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Also, Blank couldn't afford to have his next franchise player be a holdout. Between Vick's situation, trading Schaub and letting Dunn walk, he needs some goodwill with the city of Atlanta.

I still would not have given him a contract anywhere close to that big...

8. rube

rube Active Member

Rock solid for one year in the ACC and being a "great guy" gets you literally no where in a league full of less than reputable characters who are ready to tear your head off.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

We already knew that, but thanks for your help, Captain Obvious. :D 8)

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

So he's the one fan.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I know maybe one handful of them. And I live in the South.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

So how much patience do they have with Ryan, particularly if this squad goes 3-13 and he struggles in his rookie season a la Peyton manning and the Indianapolis Colts. Does he get that kind of time to pan out or do they panic after 10 games of futility?

Draft saved Draft deleted