1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt Millen on TV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by chiefwiggum, Jan 5, 2009.

1. chiefwiggum

chiefwiggum New Member

Is there any defense for NBC using Millen as an analyst?

http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/its_just_sports/2009/01/in_defense_of_matt_millen_the.html

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Because O.J. was unavailable?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I suppose you can start with the fact that he was a radio and TV commentator for several years before joining the Lions front office and go from there.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Before becoming the worst general manager in the history of the NFL.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I hate Matt Millen just as much as the next guy but he knows his X's and O's and he is fine in front of the camera. I have no problem with him being an analyst. What I do have a problem with, is him saying that it was his fault, then saying that it wasn't all his fault, but he can't explain why, because that would be like making excuses.

Well, I for one would like to know how you screw up a team that badly. I want to know what he saw with those terrible players he kept drafting and the terrible coaches he kept hiring.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Which must completely disqualify him from appearing on television. My mistake!

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Jesus. Hasn't he accepted enough money under false presenses?

No need to answer. It's a rhetorical question.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When he was working in the TV booth for Fox, he was one of the best football analysts around.

I'm not sure why anyone ever thought that would translate into being able to run a football team, but that doesn't change the fact that he's good as a TV analyst.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Why does WCF think anything he does will work?

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Olbermann and Millen were made to share the same set.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Millen was NOT a good commentator. Never was.

He was ALWAYS a cliche-spewing, hype-swallowing, wind-socking yo-yo who exhibited NO (NONE) (ZERO) understanding about what it takes for football teams to actually win games.

I said this, I shouted it, to everybody I knew, the minute the idea of Millen taking over operations of the franchise started floating around, about a year or so before he actually did.

(Remember the reports that he was gonna be brought in to "help" Bobby Ross with the operations end of the franchise??)

I screamed to everybody I knew, this was sheer idiocy, utter nonsense, categorically doomed to complete failure.

I KNEW -- I didn't just "think" -- that Millen,

a) had no concrete concept of how teams actually won games;

b) wildly flip-flopped from raving about one team (and their "system") to another, depending on who was hot or cold at the moment (as almost all broadcasters do) -- one day he'd rave about a ball-control team, the next day he was going nuts about the WCO;

c) spewed an endless litany of moldy weather-beaten cliches, "rough-tough snot-knocking football," "veteran leadership," "locker room leaders," etc etc.;

d) regularly went insane with lust over guys making big plays (quite often, wide receivers)

so I said, that if Millen ever actually took over the operations of a football team, he would act in accordance with all those tendencies, and indeed he did -- resulting in the most catatstrophic disaster of a season in professional sports history, capping off the worst 7-year stretch by any franchise in NFL history.

So to everyone I talked to, 8 and 9 years ago, especially those who dared to disagree with me, I told you so, I told you so, I told you so, I told you so, I told you so, I told you so, I told you so, I told you so -- I. Told. You. So.

Millen was, has been, is, and will continue to be, a complete imbecile when it comes to explaining why football teams win games. Sticking him on national broadcasts is a complete insult to the intelligence of the viewing audience. Get his fucking idiot imbecile ass out of there.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I only saw him after Colts-Chargers and he was lousy, crediting the coaches and assistants for the win. That's cliche for football analysis.

Draft saved Draft deleted