1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt Millen come to the white courtesy phone.....You're still hired!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Jan 2, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"I'll never admit I'm wrong. I'm not a failure -- everyone else around me is..."

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

As a Lions fan, I'm a little let down. But not all the way. I mean, if we fired him, then what happens? It's still not going to change what happens on the field.

Having said that, this team has some serious bad luck. 10 or their losses were lost by a TD or less. Then you have the injuries on the o-line and an injury to Kevin Jones that could be career ending. It's good to see a qb over here throw for over 4,000 yards. Mike Furrey lead the NFC in receptions and Roy Williams lead it with receiving yards.

P.S. This thread is going to be packed with Lions sucks posts(and rightfully so) so I'm trying to give you guys the silver lining over here.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thanks. Good for you to try. "A" for effort. Millen still sucks and has to go for the simple reason if they reach .500, he'll thump his chest like they won the Super Bowl instead of just being sub-par.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I understand Chuck, but you could get someone in there who is competent. The Lions fired their D-Coordinator today as well as announcing Millen's coming back.

Losses by less than a touchdown can be looked at as a silver lining, but it seems to me you need something to push you over than hump. And by something, I mean players who can make a difference when the game is on the line. You create your own luck in this business, and Millen has done the Lions no favors by the players he's brought in during his tenure.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The (Detroit Lions) Fords have officially committed themselves to the insane asylum. Donald Sterling thinks what they did by bringing Millen back was fucked up beyond comprehension.

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

It isn't bad luck. It's the NFL. Every team has injuries and every team loses close games. The whole "losing games by less than a touchdown" stat is so misleading. Very rarely in the NFL are games decided by more than a touchdown. The Lions were unlucky because they lost 10 games by less than a touchdown. Six of the Redskins losses were by less than a touchdown. Seven of the Chargers wins were one-possession games. Does that make them lucky?

What about the Eagles losing McNabb and Kearse? The Chiefs losing Green?

The Lions suck.

William Clay Ford: You're doing a heckuva job, Matty.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I see your point but the Lions aren't the Chargers or Redskins. They're trying to rebuild. I mean, we're at the point were we're wishing to to see an 8 win Lions team. Plus, the injuries to the o-line forced Marinelli to bring in guys from the practice squad. The Eagles lost McNabb and got Garcia and the Chiefs lost Green and got Huard.
    But I see you're point about proving it on the field. They do to much dumb stuff late in games(penalties,fumbles,ints etc.)

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

they've been trying to rebuild since 1958... enough is enough...

9. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The Lions won't become winners until/unless the Ford family is out of the picture. Just like I won't buy into the hype about my Cubs unless/until the Tribune Company sells to an owner who wants to run it like a big market, high-revenue sports team, instead of just another business holding.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The Lions must like their place in the league as the biggest joke, which is what they will be as long as Millen is running things.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who gives a shit, part of the job of the President/GM is to draft enough decent players so you can survive injuries and still put a competitive team on the field.

Of course, the team Millen has assembled would still suck diseased donkey schlongs even in 100% perfect health anyway.

Oh, by the way, the passing statistics don't mean shit. The offense still sucks. Cotton candy and hot air. Led by a 34-year-old turnover machine, whom they've already anointed as the starter for next year due to his terrific "leadership ability." They'll probably go 4-12 next year, Kitna will throw for 4,000 yards, 45 interceptions, and 30 fumbles, and they'll anoint him the starter for 3 MORE years.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, they did make the NFC title game appearance with Fontes and Sanders in 1991, when they went 12-4. And they did make the playoffs four times between 1991-1995, which included two division titles.

I know what you mean, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted