1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt Kemp and the Triple Crown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

His OPS+ is only 172. I'm surprised. That's lower, for example, than Pujols's the last few years when he's won the MVP. It's pretty run-of-the-mill for a league leader, even below average. Bautista, by contrast, is at 183. Joe Mauer, when he won his sham MVP in 2009, turned in a 170.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

]]

Sham? Who so obviously deserved it over Mauer?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Derek Jeter.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Yeah but it's just one stat. Considering the team and the lack of protection in that lineup, Kemp has had one of the best seasons in a long while. OPS+ doesn't factor that in.

5. So if Kemp does win the triple crown and the MVP - I think the really important question is - what should he wear to the awards banquet?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Based on what??? Mauer had a better WAR, average, OBP, SLG, OPS+, more homers, more RBIs, on and on and on. And since it's so important to some, his team won the AL Central.

Jeter's OPS+ was fourth....on his team.

Where was Jeter superior?

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Look at the massive dropoff Mauer has had since that season. Jeter has been the more valuable player before and after 2009. He destroys Mauer in career value and looks to be the better player going forward, despite being 9 years older.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

All of which is completely irrelevant to the 2009 MVP race.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He plays in New York.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Dick is just referencing a lengthy thread on the subject of Mauer vs. Jeter at the time.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Man, you and your friends know how to party.

Yeah, god knows there's no media in Los Angeles.

12. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

What does it say about my fantasy team that I have kemp and pujols and will finish ninth?

Draft saved Draft deleted