1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt Kemp and the Triple Crown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is anyone else shocked that this isn't getting more attention?

It seems like a few years ago, a player's pursuit of the Triple Crown would be the story of the year, like chasing .400.

Is it because RBI's are discounted now?

Is it because the Dodgers are out of contention?

Is it because no one follows baseball now once the first ball is kicked in the fall?

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I also didn't see anything on here from the Delaware bankruptcy court regarding the Dodgers.
    Yesterday, MLB asked the judge to force McCourt to sell the team, NOW.
    MLB essentially said, if McCourt still owns the team next season, the Dodgers will not be allowed to participate in MLB games, thus torpedoing McCourt's hope for a new broadcast deal to theoretically solve his financial problems. I think that is unprecedented, MLB saying: "You can't play in our league anymore."

3. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I think if he had been chasing it all year it would've gotten more attention. He's kind of snuck in.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

A little off topic, but the pitching triple crown isn't being talked about much either.

Verlander has a very good chance at winning that. Leads in wins and strikeouts. And should take the ERA title as well, provided he doesn't get lit up tonight against Baltimore.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think the pitching Triple Crown doesn't get talked about more because those stats all usually together, whereas power hitters don't always bat for a high enough average to win the batting crown.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That, and it has happened more recently. Didn't Peavy do it just a few years ago? Clemens did it at least once, too.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

If he was on the Yankees it would be a huge deal. Let's be real.

Being on the west coast on a team out of contention is killing this story. My dad in the Midwest is a baseball fan, not a huge one, and honest to God he didn't know who Matt Kemp was. He goes to bed every night just as the Dodgers are getting started.

I hope he does it. He's done an amazing job all season long.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, it doesn't get as much talk, which is fine.

It probably is a little easier to attain the pitching triple crown than the hitting. Although I have no facts/stats to back that up at all. Just guessing,

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't feel like doing a serious search, but Wikipedia has it as 16 triple crowns for hitters in major-league history, none since Yastrzemski in 1967, and 36 pitchers winning triple crowns, most recently Jake Peavy in 2007. In fact, according to this list, pitchers have won the triple crown eight times since the last one by a hitter.

Still an impressive accomplishment, but definitely easier for the pitchers.

10. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Not true at all. He's been the top 5 of all all season and I have personally been checking on it all season. Talked about it with friends numerous times this season. First month or so of the season, IIRC, he was leading all three.

11. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Should be mentioned he leads in runs too. Also, he is second in stolen bases. No hope of winning that but worth mentioning. He's having one of the best seasons in a long while.

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Clayton Kershaw has a good shot to win the NL pitching Triple Crown. He is tied for first in wins, first in K's and first in ERA. I think he probably has one more start left.

Kemp and Kershaw should win MVP and Cy Young, respectively.

The most amazing thing is that Kemp is all the Dodgers have on offense. Loney has sucked, Ethier hasn't been good. There is no one in that lineup that any pitcher should be afraid of. I lost track of the Dodgers when I moved from a market that showed all their games to one that shows none. Kemp has just been amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted