1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matsuaka to Boston

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Sacamano, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The bad thing about this was that Tom Hicks was about to pull out the 12-pounder to pay Scott Boras again.

The good thing about it was Hicks came up light.

Don't need another Chan Ho anchor around the Rangers' neck.

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

BYH.. Abreu isn't a good comparison. The Yankees had both Sheffield and Matsui on the IR at the trade deadline, the Sox had a healthy outfield and they needed arms, not bats. they couldn't have known Nixon and Varitek would get hurt 48 hours later.

I know nothing about this pitcher, but I agree with Chris that a big part of their wanting to get him is to get into the Japanese market, I'm sure Lucchino is dreaming about every little Japanese kid wearing a Sox hat and going to bed with their Wally the Green Monster doll.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

If this turns out accurate ...

This was the team that recently was complaining about how much the Yankees were spending, right?

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nixon was already beginning to tail off and already unlikely to be re-signed at the end of the season. He would have been a great fit with the Sox plate philosophy and a giant upgrade in RF over a healthy Nixon. The Sox didn't want to be on the hook for the rest of Abreu's contract. Even if Abreu isn't the five-tool force he was a year-and-a-half ago, isn't he still a safer investment than an unknown commodity?

As for the globalization of the Sox, wouldn't that have been a more likely occurance last year, when Epstein left because he was supposedly tired of PR and marketing running the Sox?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I think so. But then, the Red Sox -- even when they won the World Series -- have been Yankees Light. Second-highest payroll in the game with all the revenue they could wish for to pay for it.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Apropos of nothing, I thought of this exchange...

EXECUTIVE 1: (to Jerry and George) I'm sorry. I'm sure Mr Seinfeld is very funny to Americans, but I'm not sure this butler show would work in Japan.

GEORGE: Oh, I, uh, I disagree. You've, uh, you've been living in America too long. (indicates the bag of oranges) You've forgotten what it's like to have no oranges.

7. dmc

dmc Guest

"The Sox didn't want to be on the hook for the rest of Abreu's contract."

Who did the Phillies want in return, from the Sox?

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Over/under on number of years before Epstein calls Matsuaka a "fat, pussy toad"

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Considering what the Yankees got--four low-level yet high-end prospects--I can't imagine it was much. Seems like they just wanted someone to take the rest of Abreu's salary.

10. If Theo had traded for Abreu - then Cory Lidle would be alive today.

He has blood on his hands! Out damn spot!

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I'm just happy he isn't a Yankee.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's anything but assured.

Draft saved Draft deleted