1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mats Sundin retires....again...this time for good...maybe

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Sep 30, 2009.

1. JR

JR Active Member

Pretty sure this time, it's for good.

Question is: is he a HOFer?

From Puck Daddy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Mats-Sundin-retires-allows-us-to-get-on-with-ou?urn=nhl,193065#comments

18 seasons with 564 goals and 785 assists in 1,346 games -- tied for 20th on the all-time goals list with Joe Nieuwendyk(notes) and 25th on the all-time points list. Not bad for a guy whose prime was in the trap years.

He only logged 91 playoff games in that time but scored 82 points in the postseason, retiring without his name on the Cup. But he did win Olympic gold for Sweden, so he's got that going for him, which is nice

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't follow hockey much, but is this guy like Brett Favre? Can you really tell he loves the game?

3. JR

JR Active Member

No. He semi-retired once and took forever to make a decision to un-retire. Found out (I assume) that he couldn't play at the level he demanded of himself.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I don't like hockey that much, but this guy was one of my favorite players. (In fact, if I'd had a boy, I was considering the name Mats, short for Mattias, but was worried the poor kid would be in for a lifetime of, "Matt? No? Huh?")

You guys can crunch the numbers, but I love this player and hope he does make it.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yea, I think his numbers make him HOF worthy in due time.

Still pissed at how he and his agent fleeced Mike Gillis and the Canucks last season. Money that could have been better spent elsewhere. It was ALMOST Mark Messier all over again for Vancouver.

Draft saved Draft deleted