1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mats Sundin....HHOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

JR, why do you say no?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think JR knows a hell of a lot about Sundin and the Leafs without having to read a Wikepedia page.

World Championships mean you weren't in the playoffs, racking up penalty minutes and being a fantasy stud have nothing to do with greatness. Was Sundin ever a first team all star? Hart Trophy? Art Ross? This isn't baseball where pure stats tell the story. He is barely a point a game player.

So go ahead and cut and paste a wikepedia entry, but his HOF status to those who have watched him, isn't nearly as cut and dry as you think.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Dino Ciccarelli played in only four all-star games, was never named to a post-season all-star team, won no awards, won no Stanley Cups, did not score at a point-per-game pace. Yet he is in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

If he's a HOFer, so is Mats Sundin.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Dino is a bigtime dick.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I never argued he wasn't. I said it isn't that cut and dry. If we are going by the past mistakes the hof has made half the players in the league are hof'ers.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's true. And there are also plenty of guys on the outside looking in who really should be there, Adam Oates being perhaps the most egregious example.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Have no problem with Sundin in the hall. Never the best player in the game at any point of his career, which was very productive as others have noted, but few guys going into the hall these days could have ever been considered the best in the game at any time.

He belongs in there before a guy like Paul Henderson. (Paging JJ to the white courtesy phone!)

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

In all those years I watched him with the Leafs I never thought of him as a fantasy stud. :) And seriously, when did winning the World Championship become part of the list of accomplishments for entry in the Hall? What's next, "Hey, he won four Spengler Cups".

If he's a HHOFamer, he belongs in the Mike Gartner Wing; the terrific hockey player who never won anything in the NHL

Like I said, I was always a huge Mats fan. Just not convinced he belongs. But then, Bob Fucking Pulford made it in.

And I agree with Huggy. Henderson does not belong.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Henderson would be the first person to say he doesn't belong. In fact, he says it every time the subject comes up.

I just think that if one of the most famous hockey players who ever lived doesn't belong in a Hockey Hall of FAME, they really should change the name of the damned place.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Henderson belongs in a Hall of Fame. A Hall of Excellence, maybe not so much.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If Henderson's in, John Druce is in. :)

Sorry, the Summit Series deserves a permanent place in the HHOF and Henderson should be a focal point. That's it.

12. Being a Sens fan, I hated Mats Sundin...but he belongs.

Draft saved Draft deleted